Senior Electrical Engineer
Come join an amazing team of close to 900 employees dedicated to providing Excellence on Every Level!
TerraTherm is a worldwide leader in the development and implementation of in situ and on-site thermal remediation of organic contaminants. TerraTherm designs, builds and operates projects from concept to closure, using Thermal Conduction Heating (TCH), Steam Enhanced Extraction (SEE), Electrical Resistance Heating (ERH), and combinations of the technologies above.
This position reports to the engineering manager and is responsible for overseeing and performing electrical/controls engineering and related activities associated with TerraTherm projects, including: heater and electrical equipment calculations, designs, drawings, electrical equipment specification and design, work plan preparation, permitting, cost estimation, equipment procurement and fabrication, system startup, and system troubleshooting (as required) for TerraTherm. Design and field oversight for electrical distribution up to 480V with service loads up to 5,000 amps. Knowledge of process control hardware/software design and implementation will be helpful. The position may involve direct supervision of staff electrical/controls engineers, technicians, and shop/field electricians.
- Oversee and prepare designs and work plans, from conceptual design through detailed design packages. Primary focus is on the electrical power distribution and control elements; however, expect involvement in other aspects of the design process. Electrical design work may include heater calculations, electrical load calculations, short-circuit and overcurrent protection calculations, transformer and wire sizing, etc. Work tasks may also include or interface with electrical and controls engineering elements including instrumentation and control hardware selection, control logic and operator interface development, etc.
- Develop electrical (and control) equipment and power distribution equipment specifications; prepare electrical load calculations for single and three phase loads; prepare electrical single line drawings, schematics and detail drawings.
- Interface with utility companies to secure electrical service (500kVA to 5000 kVA) for projects and bids. Interface with permitting authorities and electrical subcontractors for electrical construction work.
- Develop equipment schedules and material takeoffs; prepare requests for bids for subcontractors and material vendors. Prepare construction and equipment specifications. Compare bids and recommend the selection of subcontractors and material vendors.
- Develop point-point wiring diagrams, ladder logic diagrams, and components for PLC/control panels.
- Perform site visits on new project opportunities to determine the available site power, and utility/facility constraints, collect information regarding construction permits, evaluate potential site support contractors, and assist with preparation of cost estimates.
- Oversee maintenance, testing and repair of company-owned electrical equipment.
- Lead electrical design aspects of company research and development projects.
- Perform the function of field engineer, including hands on field work and/or field engineering, supervision of subcontractors, review of daily work production reports, schedule and budget.
- Inspect work of company staff and subcontractors to ensure construction work is performed in accordance with design specification,
- Prepare detail drawings and supervise/inspect field/shop fabrication,
- Communicate and coordinate work quality or safety concerns to the project manager, general manager or technology manager as necessary to ensure proper and safe completion of the project.
- Assist the construction supervisor and system operators with equipment commissioning and startup, and operational troubleshooting (typically 1 to 2 weeks) when necessary.
- Manage tasks as required to ensure work is completed on time and on budget, with a high degree of internal and external client satisfaction. Communicate task status and issues with project manager, client and/or company management.
Staff Management/Discipline Leadership (Potential Duties)
- Provide direct supervision of staff electrical/controls engineers, technicians, and shop/field electricians.
- Develop and implement staff development and training programs for direct reports. Set annual goals for direct reports and track progress during regular staff check-ins.
- As Electrical/Control Discipline Leader, develop and implement corporate and project-level QA/QC procedures for the Electrical/Control practice area.
- Ensure all designs and installations are consistent with applicable codes, regulations, and standards.
- Implement annual electrical training programs for staff engineers, construction personnel, and operations staff.
- Demonstrated hands on experience with electro-mechanical and process equipment fabrication, control integration, operation and trouble shooting. Ability to work with electrical meters and hand & power tools.
- Always look for new and better ways to streamline the cost and performance of thermal remediation projects, capture information, and make overall improvements as learning takes place.
- As directed, develop new methods/equipment in accordance with approved budget and scope.
- Travel as necessary to perform position description duties. Expect travel for periods of generally 1 to 2 weeks (and occasionally up to 3 weeks at a time), based on project work load.
- At least 7 years direct engineering experience or 7 years equivalent experience in electrical/control design/construction industry
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, AutoCAD
- BS or higher Electrical Engineering degree
- Advanced training & experience in electrical power and control system design and implementation
- Professional Engineer license or ability to obtain within 6 months strongly preferred
- 40 Hr. OSHA HAZWOPER training, and current 8 hr. refresher (Company will provide this training, if necessary)
- Self-starter and outgoing personality traits
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to take direction and act independently
- Strong communications and organization skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and stay organized while doing so
Level of Supervision:
- Work independently based on general instructions, directions or objectives received from Project Manager or Supervisor
- Provide direct supervision to staff engineers, field technicians, and shop personnel
Who is Cascade?
From our roots as a Northwest regional drilling company, we have grown into a national, full-service environmental services company offering innovative solutions to our customers. We believe in excellence at every level and that includes hiring employees who are the best at what they do. We firmly believe our employees are the most critical component of our long-term success. At Cascade, we provide a career, not just a job.
Cascade’s core purpose is to be the essential business partner that contributes to our clients’ success and advancement in tackling even the most challenging environmental and geotechnical problems, to contribute to our industry and the betterment of our employee’s careers and the communities we serve.
What does Cascade offer?
- Comprehensive training and flexible career paths
- Encouragement to pursue new roles nationwide, explore a variety of projects, and work with mentors and experts who help shape the industry
- Comprehensive Medical/Prescription Drug/Dental/Vision
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with Company Match
- Company-paid Basic Life Insurance / Short- and Long-Term Disability
- Health Reimbursement Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave / Holiday / Vacation Pay
- License Bonuses / Tuition Reimbursement
- Charitable Donation Match
We are proud to provide a full range of benefits programs that help our employees and their families plan for today and their future. The benefits we offer are competitive and allow flexibility and choice to meet the individual needs of our employees and their families.
Who are you?
- Hard-working, talented, and career-minded
- Strong desire to contribute to a stable, diverse organization
- Work hard, play hard mindset
- Open to continued learning and development
- Collaborative, team player
- Customer service minded
To learn more about our exciting career opportunities at Cascade, check out our Careers site atwww.cascade-env.com/careers.