Scientist 1 or 2, Capsid Engineering, Gene Therapy Research
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking to hire a Scientist 1 or 2 for our AAV Capsid Team under Gene Therapy Research. We are looking for a highly motivated team player with extensive experience in molecular biology and mammalian cell culture. As part of the AAV Capsid Engineering team, the role will be partly responsible for engineering AAV capsids using directed evolution methods, as well as collaborate with Gene therapy research groups, therapeutic teams, and external collaborations, to enable the development and use of next-generation AAV capsids for Gene Therapy. The successful candidate will have a science background in AAV biology/viral vectors/virology, with extensive hands-on experience in molecular biology and mammalian cell culture. Experience with NGS sequencing and computational data analysis is highly desirable.
- Perform directed evolution studies by building randomized DNA libraries using advanced molecular biology techniques.
- Perform NGS amplicon sequencing and NGS data analysis.
- Perform standard molecular biology techniques such as DNA, RNA extractions from mammalian cell culture or mice/NHP tissues, PCR, RT/qPCR as needed for projects.
- Design and clone DNA constructs and develop assays as needed for projects.
- Maintain detailed electronic laboratory notebook to records the day-to-day activities including experimental protocols and data generated.
- Present data in meetings.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with team members within the research group as well as cross-functional research groups and external collaborators.
- Strong technical background on molecular biology methods, and hands-on experience on methods not limited to PCR, RT/q-PCR, molecular cloning, DNA libraries, DNA/RNA extractions from mammalian cell culture/mice/NHP are recommended.
- Hands-on experience with NGS amplicon sequencing is recommended.
- Experience working with viral vectors is recommended.
- Python programming skills for NGS data analysis is recommended.
- Hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture is recommended.
- Open to learning new skills and techniques as needed to succeed in the assigned tasks.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and collaborate with cross-functional research teams.
- Good interpersonal as well as scientific communication and written skills for presentations and record maintenance.
- PhD with 0-2 years or BS/ MS with 6+ years of hands-on experience doing laboratory work in molecular biology or relevant biological sciences.
PhD or equivalent relevant experience, plus 0-2+ years industry experience
PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.