Director, Account Management, Hemophilia Gene Therapy - East
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
At BioMarin, we aspire to lift the voice of the hemophilia community the same way they inspire us to keep researching and moving toward the exceptional with science. We celebrate the people we serve and in the face of obstacles, BioMarin sees opportunity. The BioMarin team is dedicated to pursuing change in hemophilia treatment through the ingenuity of our gene therapy research. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Director, Account Management, Hemophilia Gene Therapy
Location: Field Based
The Director, Account Management (Sales) for Hemophilia Gene Therapy will be responsible for hiring and leading a team of Hemophilia Account Managers. The position reports to the Executive Director, Field Operations for the U.S. Hemophilia Business Unit. This position will be responsible for achieving revenue objectives, while managing operating expenses.
This role is focused on both pre-launch and post-launch activities that will prepare for and launch BioMarin’s gene therapy for hemophilia A, if approved, currently being evaluated in a Phase III clinical trial. The director will be a key contributor to pre-launch planning and launch execution, while at the same time hiring an account management team for their respective region.
This position requires a mix of strategic agility, business acumen, leadership, management of projects and an ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have hemophilia and/or rare disease experience, combined with competitive launch experience with a disruptive technology.
- People leadership and management expertise, analytical skills, and problem solving skills are required. Results orientated with a sense of urgency to get things done are necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and gain the cooperation from others, excellent communication and presentation skills are required. A high degree of collaboration with other functional areas (marketing, medical, market access, commercial operations) is essential.
- Must be a good match for the BioMarin culture, which is performance oriented while maintaining behavioral norms that support collaboration and innovation.
- Direct experience building and establishing sales organizations in small and specialty markets is strongly desired.
- A disciplined business-risk taker who is comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment, sensitive to the constraints of a small commercial organization, and committed to adhering to Compliance guidelines
- Must be goal oriented, know how to set aggressive but achievable targets, and be able to adjust when targets are not being met.
- Must be able to operate effectively in this highly regulated environment, including an ability to understand, follow and manage to legal and regulatory compliance guidelines. Instills and demonstrates a high standard of performance and ethics within the organization and role models this behavior.
- Hire and build a sales team. Provide inspirational leadership and strategic direction to their respective team of Account Managers.
- Develop sales plans based on revenue goals, marketing plans and available resources.
- Execute a market analysis program and other pre-launch initiatives within a highly-regulated industry and consistent with Compliance training, policies, guidelines, and their own best judgment. This could include a speaker bureau, local/regional/state level advocacy meetings, participation in annual brand planning, conference management and other projects.
- Spend the majority of time in the field interacting with customers, while coaching and developing direct reports.
- Periodically attend brand team meetings in order to provide ‘the voice of the customer’ and articulate other insights gained in the field. There will be an opportunity to influence both tactics and strategies by understanding the customer needs.
- Effectively monitor and manage cost center budgets and provide spending direction.
- Work with other members of the hemophilia franchise team, and facilitates collaboration with other functions, such as Patient Advocacy, MSLs, Case Managers and other key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Understand, follow and manage to all company policies, legal and regulatory compliance guidelines.
- The position will often require working weekends to attend scientific conferences and patient advocacy meetings.
- Displays a passion and genuine commitment to supporting hemophilia and/or rare disease communities
- Minimum 12+ years of progressive pharmaceutical/biotech experience
- 6 years biotech/specialty sales involving high value products
- Minimum 5 years field sales management managing rare disease and/or hemophilia Account Managers
- Experience hiring, building, and managing new teams in anticipation of a new product launch
- Demonstrated ability to think and communicate strategically
- Strong analytical, problem solving and contingency planning skills
- Confident and influential presenter, adept at engaging senior leadership
- Willingness to travel extensively, greater than 60%
- Proficiency with PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Hemophilia and/or rare disease pre-launch preparation and successful launch experience
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders (marketing, medical, operations, etc.)
- Start-up experience and experience with the introduction of a disruptive technology
- Bachelors, Arts or Science
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.