Scientist II, Delivery - Biological Research
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Biology Research department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc. is seeking a highly motivated individual at the Scientist level. As part of the Delivery Solutions Team, the successful candidate will drive scientific innovation through the development of delivery technologies to enable quality research and drug development. Through internal and external partnerships, the Delivery Solutions Team optimizes current drug-delivery technologies and evaluates new platforms (nanoparticles, prodrugs, polymers, and protein conjugates) to more efficiently deliver therapies to target tissues and systems.
This research-focused position will optimize and develop delivery technologies for a variety of therapeutics (small molecules, oligonucleotides and proteins) from in vitro through in vivo proof-of-concept studies, as well as develop the analytical assays to drive data-driven decisions in animal models. The successful candidate will have broad experience with biochemical methods and instrumentation including bioconjugations, liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, ligand binding assays, fluorescence microscopy, and cell-based assays. You will interact with all facets of Research and Early Development to advance our most promising research programs for rare diseases.
This position offers a unique career opportunity to work on exploratory research through late stage programs in both supporting and project leadership roles. You will be in a position to apply various delivery technologies to accelerate research with opportunities for career growth in a growing biotech company.
- Test and develop various drug delivery technologies through internal and external collaborations
- Work independently to develop a variety of analytical methods to detect drugs, metabolites and biomarkers in biological matrices. Techniques may include (but are not limited to) mass spec, HPLC/UPLC, proteomics, metabolomics, ligand binding assays, fluorescence microscopy, and cell-based assays.
- Use shared instrumentation available in the LCMS Core to independently conduct experiments.
- Function as a project leader to drive research towards project milestones and decision-making.
- Function as the primary interface to other teams regarding a designated project and present results to project teams.
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to the Research Department.
- Develop new techniques or bring in new technology from the outside, to enhance the drug delivery capabilities of the group.
- Prepare SOPs and other documents such as data reports for testing results.
- Share responsibility for lab management duties.
- Participate and present data as a member of Delivery Solutions Team and share responsibility for project milestones.
- Effectively partner with other teams and groups within Research and Early Development to advance critical activities and programs.
- Independently carry out the aforementioned tasks and plan, implement, and complete projects.
- Attend and participate in scientific meetings.
Preferred: Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Bioengineering or related fields. Established field of expertise in drug delivery, protein chemistry, biochemistry or similar.
Ph.D. or equivalent relevant experience, plus 0-2+ years industry experience
Ph.D. or equivalent relevant experience, plus 2-5+ years industry experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.