Principal Scientist, Cardiovascular Cell Biology
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Biology Research group at BioMarin is seeking a Principal Scientist (Director-level role) with extensive experience researching genetic / inherited cardiac diseases using a broad range of in vitro and in vivo models, particularly in the context of evaluating novel therapeutic approaches.
The Principal Scientist will lead the early development of a pipeline program targeting a genetic heart disease, including formation of a cross-functional program team and, in partnership with the team, building short- and long-range plans and establishing key go/no-go decision-making criteria. In addition to leading the early program team, the Principal Scientist will be a key scientific leader in the group, interfacing with program teams developing other novel therapeutics for inherited heart diseases and will play a leadership role in helping to set the strategic direction for BioMarin’s interest in genetic cardiac diseases, including the assessment of new target/therapeutic concepts and the evaluation of potential business development opportunities. The Principal Scientist will also manage several direct reports.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in cardiovascular physiology and pharmacology, with demonstrated experience in the application of novel therapeutic paradigms for genetic heart diseases. Experience in cardiovascular genetics, functional cardiomyocyte assays and familiarity with other core techniques, such as electrophysiology and echocardiography would also be beneficial.
The successful candidate will have experience providing context of findings to senior management and offering insights to inform continued clinical development of programs for inherited heart diseases. The candidate will communicate, publish, and present scientific data and conclusions, along with their potential translatability to humans, to project teams, external collaborators, and the scientific community.
- Develop novel programs based on innovative, ground-breaking discoveries that could lead to new, high-impact therapeutic opportunities for patients
- Lead a cross-functional preclinical program team in the development of a novel therapeutic for an inherited cardiac disease
- Direct research and publish findings in high-impact journals and present research at major conferences
- Effectively partner with the program team, other scientists and the Research and Early Development leadership team to develop and execute on the program’s strategic plan
- Present program data at a range of internal forums, including Research Seminars and Leadership Team governance forums
- Provide senior scientific leadership and guide the strategic direction of the company’s efforts in the Genetic Cardiology therapeutic area, including developing and evaluating new internal and external therapeutic opportunities
- Manage, mentor and guide a focused team of in vitro / in vivo cardiovascular scientists
- Review and contribute to study synopses, protocols, study reports and regulatory documents
- Collaborate with various BioMarin functions, CROs, university or analytical laboratories, business partners, as necessary to ensure appropriate/timely progression of projects
- Participate in multi-disciplinary drug development teams and may lead sub-teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build/foster productive cross-functional collaborations both within and external to BioMarin
- Required: Ph.D. with strong experience in cardiovascular research and cardiovascular physiology, pharmacology or a related subject area.
- M.D. or M.D. / Ph.D. physician-scientist, with a major focus in basic cardiovascular research preferred
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 10+ years industry experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.