Sr. Director, Core Team Leader - Palynziq / Kuvan
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
As BioMarin’s pipeline grows, we are excited to establish a leadership role in PKU that oversees Palynziq (enzyme replacement therapy, launched ~ 3 years ago) and Kuvan (small molecule, established mature product). As the CTL, you will partner with stakeholders across the organization to look for synergies and efficiencies for identified opportunities by presenting strong business cases to corporate governance. In this regard will lead and execute the Life-cycle management plan for Palynziq and Kuvan. This will involve strong partnerships with Clinical Science, Commercial, Research, Med Affairs, Technical Operations & Finance.
CTL role is the primary liaison between teams and executive management and has overall accountability to executive management (CEO and CEO leadership team) for the integrated product strategy. In collaboration with core team (CT) members, the CTL ensures progress and execution against plans and as the leader of the CT is the primary contact for internal stakeholders.
Key Responsibilities of a CTL:
- Program Strategy
- Lead the CT in the generation and maintenance of a Target Product Profile and the cross-functional compound development and lifecycle strategy taking into account global considerations
- Lead CT and develop forward looking integrated stage-based product development plans that are aligned with program strategy and ensures assumptions and drivers are aligned with plans to inform financial planning
- Lead efforts in partnership with line functions to optimize value of the compound throughout its lifecycle.
- Ensure potential risks are identified and contingency planning with a solutions focused mindset.
- Team Effectiveness
- Ensure cross functional partnerships and resources are leveraged effectively, and with accountability, to achieve program objectives.
- Drive collaboration and transparency across all functions on the CT and challenge team members to be broad and inclusive in their strategy planning.
- Resolve conflicts at the Core Team, provide and receive feedback to develop and maintain a high performing team and if necessary escalate team member performance related issues to functional management
- Governance and Approvals
- Ensure that team recommendations are brought to appropriate governance for management buy-in and decisions
- Ensure alignment of program strategy/plan/execution with management expectations & priorities
- Lead CT in the development of scenarios and recommendations and present CT position for decision making at various governance bodies.
- Single point of contact on program for executive and functional management
- Ensures communication of rationale and context for decisions made to team
- Leads team in developing a comprehensive internal and external communication plan with team input for important program milestones, key data, etc.
- Reviews and agrees to publication plan, reviews publication concepts, presentations and manuscripts
- Primary source for information as needed for external communications (press releases, investor related, etc.)
- Reviews health authority related documents and ensures consistency with strategic objectives for the program
- In partnership with Project Management Lead, CTL ensures
- Timely progress and execution against strategy and plans
- Timely and aligned input into drivers for LRP and Budget process
The successful candidate will ideally have an advanced degree in a scientific discipline (e.g., Ph.D. or M.D.); M.B.A. is a plus.
- 15+ years experience in the biotechnology/ pharmaceutical industry. Ideally, the individual will have experience in drug development across several therapeutic areas and across the spectrum of drug development and life cycle management.
- Experience as a leader of product or compound strategy teams or sub-teams. Experience leading multiple assets a plus.
- The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong leadership ability and professional credibility to influence a highly intelligent and sophisticated audience of colleagues, partners, and external constituents.
- This individual must be a self-starter and possess excellent leadership, influencing and communication skills, as they will be applied at all levels, including at the core team, interactions with the executive team, and presentations to high-level internal and external audiences
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.