Head of IT Performance Management
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Our Chief Information Officer is looking for a Head of IT Performance Management to drive strategic outcomes that operationalize our technology vision. Technology directly or indirectly touches virtually every activity needed to deliver the critical mission of our company and we’re looking for a high-performing candidate to make it happen.
This role is the focal point of strategy, resources and outcomes for the IT function. The successful candidate will align IT work with department and corporate objectives through effective IT portfolio & resource management, develop goals and objectives, craft communications to keep everyone informed and manage decisions through powerful analytics. They will have portfolio management & technical experience connecting strategy to the work needed to get there, deep analytical rigor, passion for solving ambiguous problems, excellent communication skills and the ability to influence cross-functionally.
This person will be a recognized leader with a core expertise in portfolio and capacity management, who understands how to achieve in an environment of competing interests and limited resources. They will connect the dots across the IT department to ensure teams are aligned and focused; there is a lot of behind the scenes work in this role that is critical to ensure the CIO’s time is optimized (e.g., pre-reviews with teams, cascading info and context, streamlining efforts, etc.).
Ultimately, they are motivated by the desire to optimize IT productivity and enable IT to play its part in delivering the company’s objectives.
Note: This position will be onsite in San Rafael CA at least 2-3 days per week.
What You’ll Do
- IT Portfolio Management:
- Prioritize and manage portfolio of IT initiatives in support of business goals.
- Manage budget, forecast and funding channels for maximum productivity of the IT function.
- Work closely with the project sponsors, project managers, and other critical partners to stay synchronized on planned scope, deliverables, required resources, budget, and timing of initiatives.
- Maintain a firm understanding of all projects at a high level – working with PM teams to identify, triage, and mitigate risks including scope creep, budget variance, time, quality, resources ($ & people).
- Performance Management:
- Define and collate metrics the define ‘How is IT performing’ in collaboration with IM and other business stakeholders.
- Ownership of the metrics - Establish targets, monitor and report metrics.
- Build out metrics and data management for key business decisions.
- Ad-hoc: Pull specific data sets, derive insights and present data to stakeholders. Provide a strategic direction based on insights presented.
- Work with CIO and the leadership team to ensure alignment of IT work with strategy.
- Co-develop CIOs goals/OKRs, ensure alignment across IT leadership team, clarify organizational goals, cascade communication of goals and ensure execution on those goals.
- Participate in QBRs and strategy work with key external vendors to ensure alignment with our departmental vision.
- Drive IT strategy refresh and investment planning closed loop processes
- Provide guidance and content for communications, including reviewing and contributing to department/company-wide comms, townhall meeting content as well as leadership and employee communications.
- Execute Leadership Meetings: Responsible for content, agendas, and follow-ups. Act as a trusted advisor, thought partner and facilitator, exercising judgment on when topics need to be discussed and decisions need to be made.
What We’re Looking For
- Strategic vision combined with ability to “roll up their sleeves” and translate into actionable parts. Basically, bring the strategy to life.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Highly skilled in developing and presenting clear, concise and polished executive level decks, communications and reports. Samples will be requested.
- Able to interact effectively with senior leaders and inspire and motivate staff.
- High analytical IQ with ability to discover insights that shape decisions.
- Experience in financial management principles as they relate to portfolio and project management and delivery of a business case.
- Management with 5+ years’ experience in portfolio management, experience in regulated environment desired.
- Proficient with common program management and project analytics tools.
- Strong business acumen, BA/BS required.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.