Senior Manager, Learning and Development
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Effective training programs are critical in a regulated manufacturing business and this position plays an essential role in ensuring employees continue to build skills that will enable them to be successful and continue their professional development.
The Senior Learning and Development Manager is responsible for leading a team that oversees learning and development programs and projects that support Technical Operations teams at the Novato site. This work is in support of manufacturing and QA release of biological therapeutics within multiple cGMP manufacturing plants. This function has a lead role for learning and development initiatives at the site and is a dynamic position that requires a high degree of professional and collaborative interaction and an innovative spirit.
This position is responsible for ensuring optimum performance of:
- A team who enables the site’s training and development through design of high-quality programs, trainings, and learning experiences.
- New and current programs and projects for technical, compliance and quality trainings.
- Learning Management System administration.
The Senior Learning and Development Manager is responsible for:
- Interfacing with multiple departments to provide support and oversight of course development, training structure and design.
- Maintaining working knowledge of best practices and cutting-edge technologies and processes in organizational effectiveness to determine new approaches to emerging training requirements.
- Supporting leadership in the development and implementation of site training policies and standards.
- Provide guidance to ensure compliance in GxP training practices and documentation in alignment with BioMarin’s Training Standards and Policy.
- Provide leadership in continuous improvement for training according to GxP and current industry standards.
- Trending training metrics as applicable for compliance and program management.
Leading the Team in Program Development
- Formulate, develop and implement training programs
- Evaluate effectiveness of training and development programs and utilize relevant evaluation data to revise or recommend changes in instructional objectives and methods
- Define measures of effectiveness for appropriate trainings
- Recommend or utilize vendor programs that meet instructional goals and objectives
- Collaborate with customer groups to determine areas of focus
- Develop, maintain and analyze training metrics to drive performance improvements and continuous improvement
Leading the Team in Course Development & Implementation
- Develop strategic partnerships with management and key stakeholders to ensure training design and strategy are aligned with Biomarin’s Training Policy and standards
- Formulate training solutions and determine instructional methods, utilizing knowledge of specified training needs and effectiveness of such methods as individual training, group instruction, lectures, demonstrations, conferences, meetings or workshops
- Work with stakeholders and subject matter experts to create engaging learning activities and compelling course content through application of instructional design theories, practices and methods that enhance retention and transfer
- Mentor team members in training design principles
Leading the Team in Learning Management System Administration & Relevant Systems
- Complete work pertaining to LMS administrative requests, projects or programs
- Support LMS projects, such as converting paper-based systems to electronic formats
- Participate in internal and external audits and inspections
- Perform or support document control processes, assessing the training needs and requirements for new and revised procedures
- Support department logistics as needed
- 5+ years leading, developing and managing high performing teams
- Customer service attitude, providing service across all levels of the business
- Ability to lead, coach and mentor others
- Public speaking and facilitation
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and orally to all levels of the organization
- Ability to comprehend technical information related to equipment, process and regulatory expectations
- Project management
- Organizational and prioritization skills to coordinate multi-discipline projects
- Quality Systems experience (Change Control, Deviation, Corrective and Preventative Action, Document Management)
- Use of web-based database software applications
- 8-10 years in a regulated industry (e.g. life sciences, aviation, energy, nuclear) with five years in a training function
- Instructional Design skills
- Administration of an LMS, ComplianceWire preferred
- Strong attention to detail
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in life sciences or engineering is preferred; other technical/scientific areas or equivalent education/experience combinations will be considered
- Formal qualifications in training design and development are desired
- This position will be based at the Novato campus. There may be periodic travel between the Novato and San Rafael campuses to participate in meetings. This position is also open to working remotely.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.