BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
High-performing, high-impact tactical and strategic position requiring outstanding technical and people skills to bring in contemporary data science perspectives in order to foster quantitative thinking and decision-making grounded in data across the enterprise
As a Transdisciplinary Data Scientist, you will elevate BioMarin’s use of data. You will bring quantitative thinking and statistical analysis to challenges in potentially any area of the company. You will collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams—potentially comprising clinical scientists, non-clinical researchers, pharmaceutical regulatory experts, manufacturers, biotechnology marketers, statisticians, epidemiologists, finance staff, human resource personnel, management, etc.—on a wide range of problems. Thus a key aspect of the position is to be able to interface with counterparts with a wide range of professional backgrounds and varying aptitude with the technical aspects of data analysis, and to provide those partners with data analyses and interpretations they can understand and act upon.
An important function of the position is education, equipping collaborators to understand and utilize their own data, productively and with methodological rigor.
In short, the Transdisciplinary Data Scientist will advance BioMarin’s capability to turn data into information that informs decisions. The position is high-visibility, high-impact, and comes with high expectations to demonstrate value from data analysis.
- Work with unique, complex, messy data sets.
- Solve difficult, unusual analysis problems, applying advanced analytical methods as needed.
- Exhibit solid understanding of core statistical concepts and advanced methods while at the same time favoring simplicity and exhibiting flexibility in how to approach data.
- Carry out hands-on the full process of conducting analyses: conceptualization and planning, data gathering, statistical analysis, interpretation of results, and reporting and presentation. Supervise teams to do the same.
- Design and plan data collection and analysis to answer business questions.
- Interact effectively with cross-functional counterparts: understand their problems, formulate practical, actionable approaches, and communicate the solutions effectively.
- Exhibit exceptional communication skills including report-writing and presentation.
- Educate counterparts with widely varying functional roles and technical backgrounds on concepts of data science to equip them to effectively utilize their own data.
- Master’s (minimum) or PhD (strongly preferred) in a quantitative discipline (data science or closely related field)
- 5+ years of work experience in data analysis
- Quantitative skills
- Expertise with hands-on data analysis including programming (SAS, R, Python, SQL, etc.)
- Demonstrated knowledge of core statistical and data science concepts and principles
- Basic familiarity with statistical methods common in clinical research such as linear models, multivariate analysis, longitudinal data analysis, categorical data analysis, and study design
- Applied experience with a variety of machine learning and data mining techniques (linear models, clustering, decision trees, random forests, boosting, neural networks, text mining, scenario analysis, simulation, etc.) including understanding of their real-world advantages and drawbacks
- Experience using Web services (Redshift, S3, Spark, DigitalOcean, etc.), third party data providers (Google Analytics, Site Catalyst, Coremetrics, Adwords, Crimson Hexagon, Facebook Insights, etc.), and distributed data/computing tools (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc.) preferred
- Ability to manipulate and make best use of complex, messy data sets
- Ability to architect data structures preferred
- Mastery of effective presentation of data, particularly data visualization
- Aptitude to learn new quantitative methods
- Proven ability to marshal quantitative and interpersonal skills to draw useful insights from data
- Transdisciplinary skills
- Experience articulating cross-disciplinary business questions and using statistical analyses to arrive at actionable answers
- Proven ability to work in as well as lead cross-functional teams including key non-technical stakeholders
- Enthusiasm and ability to teach including audiences with and without technical backgrounds
- Soft skills
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated drive to learn and master new technologies, techniques, business areas
- Flexibility to adapt quantitative approaches to new situations
- Eagerness to learn about BioMarin’s science and business operations
- Proven track record in creative problem solving leading to practical solutions
- Basic familiarity with biotechnology research and the pharmaceutical industry
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.