Firmware & Embedded Test Engineer
Want to see more? Find all job opportunities for both BioFire and bioMérieux worldwide by clicking here.
The world is facing a medical crisis, bacteria are increasingly evolving resistance to even our strongest antibiotics. The problem is already very real and immediate; for example, bloodstream infection leading to sepsis is now responsible for more than half of all deaths in hospitals and is the most expensive condition treated in hospitals. Sepsis mortality rate increases >6% every hour without effective antibiotic treatment. Yet, despite the life and death urgency, and healthcare cost impacts, current methodologies require 3 days to determine the correct antibiotic.
Specific Diagnostics, a bioMerieux company, has developed a breakthrough solution to rapidly determine the effective antibiotic treatment for bloodstream and other acute infections. Used for bloodstream infection Specific’s solution provides results 2 days sooner than existing methods, saving patients suffering from drug-resistant infection.
The person for this job will be a key member of our company, contributing to development and test of firmware for Specific’s medical diagnostic instruments. Development of test code is central to the role including creation of test cases, development of test software and verification of results against requirements and generating a historical analysis of control code state and stability.
You will be a lead developer creating our commercial medical instrument. You will define and implement the core control functionality of the instrument. You will design, from bottom up and will have the opportunity to work on the hardware layer that interacts with various devices developing instrument control firmware.
Use of tools such as Jira and Arena for documentation of defects in a maintained issue tracking database will be a routine task. The job responsibilities include deploying, operating, and maintaining application test instances and development of automation wrappers for off the shelf test equipment.
You will be a key contributor in a fast track development program for a medical diagnostic system, and leadership experience in software development and test of FDA-regulated medical devices in an ISO 13485 quality environment is critical. The job includes reviewing and documenting software in compliance with medical device software standards including IEC 60601 and 62304. Testing against requirements includes evaluating software ease of usability and error handling procedures.
- Monitor, operate, maintain and troubleshoot building automation systems to ensure proper function.
- Managing construction projects including electrical, HVAC, security, equipment and other general construction activities
- Oversee scheduled and unscheduled repairs of HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, lighting, electrical, and life safety systems.
- Ensure all safety and environmental code compliance and accountability preparation activities related to the all-applicable safety equipment and green facility initiatives.
- Conduct preventive maintenance on systems and equipment.
- Manage security access through badging and key management.
- Respond to emergency situations as directed or requested by personnel.
- The procurement of equipment, contractors, analyzing and recommending the most quality and cost-effective approach to support operations.
- Developing and executing policies, procedures, programs, and budgets to assure effective maintenance of all facilities and equipment.
- Participate in the preparation of construction capital needs and budgets.
- Ensure proper environmental services for chemical, biological and other waste management.
- Develop, document, and implement facilities repairs and maintenance guidelines.
- Manage the daily operations concerning facility maintenance, equipment maintenance, and landlord/property management interactions.
You will be a key member of our development staff. You better be great because you will be central to assuring our products are great and performing as required. You should have direct experience in the engineering development of firmware, test software, verification and validation of regulated medical devices. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary technical teams in collaboration toward system-level solutions, and demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to lead technical teams will be essential. Our development is very diverse, and you will have the opportunity to work on various technologies and develop various aspects to our solution. You should be excited by the prospect of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment and the following qualifications:
- Three or more years of experience in Embedded Systems or Firmware Test
- Experience creating test benches in Python or other scripting languages (Qt a plus)
- Proven track record authoring requirements, developing test protocols, and implementing test automation
- Experience with firmware development environments and hardware debuggers
- Experience with source control and defect tracking systems (GitHub, Jira, etc.)
- Experience and efficiency with test and measurement equipment (e.g. Oscilloscope)
- Able to read electronic schematics and datasheets
- Proficiency with C/C#/SQL
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or another related field preferred.
- Authorized to work in the US and full fluency of the English language is a must.
- Excellent communication skills are a must
BioFire Diagnostics, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Please be advised that the receipt of satisfactory responses to reference requests and the provision of satisfactory proof of an applicant’s identity and legal authorization to work in the United States are required of all new hires. Any misrepresentation, falsification, or material omission may result in the failure to receive an offer, the retraction of an offer, or if already hired, dismissal. If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you may request a reasonable accommodation in BioFire Diagnostics’ application process by contacting us via telephone at (385) 770-1132, by email at [email protected], or by dialing 711 for access to Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS).