LeadYoung Storytelling and Partnership Interns
Ashoka is an international non-profit organization that pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship almost 40 years ago. Headquartered in Arlington, Ashoka is the world’s first and largest professional network of social entrepreneurs with over 3500 Ashoka Fellows in 92+ countries.
Our network of Fellows is successfully implementing system-changing solutions to human and environmental problems in almost every area of need around the world. By learning from and collaborating with social entrepreneurs, we identify patterns and key levers to help society gain a new framework for living in the world as a changemaker. We believe that everyone should be enabled with the qualities that define a social entrepreneur. Building on our extensive experience with social entrepreneurs, we build and activate networks to create fundamental changes in the growing up experience of children and young people so that everyone can become a changemaker. We are investing in the people and patterns of collaborative entrepreneurship that are necessary in an Everyone a Changemaker world.
Read more about our transition from Social Entrepreneurship to Everyone a Changemaker here.
Like all great social movements, young people are at the center of change. And to achieve an Everyone a Changemaker world, we urgently need every young person to self-identify as a changemaker for the good of all. Stories play a very important role in demonstrating the power of young people to create change and inspire others to find their own power to do the same.
Ashoka launched LeadYoung, a storytelling initiative to demonstrate the power of a young person who had an idea, created a team and led a solution. LeadYoung aims to inspire young people to be bold and creative, and parents and educators to promote these kinds of growing up experiences, in order to make young changemaking the new norm.
Ashoka LeadYoung is looking for energetic team members to support content creation, partnership development, and global distribution. Join a global team and lead the Everyone a Changemaker Movement with us!
UNDERGRADUATE INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTIONS
Storytelling and Communications Intern(s)
- Interviewing and writing the stories of changemakers and entrepreneurs in the Ashoka network
- Experimenting with different forms of storytelling to convey the LeadYoung message to different audiences
- Collaborating with other volunteers, interns, and colleagues globally to build digital engagement through social media channels, e-newsletters, and the LeadYoung website
- Co-creating external materials (pitch decks, toolkits, handouts, guides, story cards, mailers, etc.) for communicating LeadYoung to different audiences and partners and templates for easy replication
Partnership and Research Intern
- Researching potential funders and companies interested in youth development and social movement building work
- Identifying potential distribution partners for LeadYoung stories
- Support the development of partnership proposals, market research testing, and administrative tasks related to partnership management
- Documenting relationships and maintaining records through Salesforce
- Supporting internal knowledge management for our team members globally to share best practices and resources
Ashoka recognizes the vital role volunteers and interns play in our work. Volunteers and Interns offer a fresh perspective, new ideas, and creative insight that advance organizational growth. As such, internships with our team are fluid and dynamic. Our team can craft roles and responsibilities based on your skillset, social interests, and professional goals.
Ashoka can provide you:
- Freedom, mentorship, and encouragement to learn new skills and grow as a young professional in the social impact sector
- The flexibility to craft your own experience, set goals for your professional and personal development, and be a co-leader of our Everyone a Changemaker Movement
- The space to creatively undertake cross-cutting projects, experiment with new ways of thinking and working, and create tangible work products
- Opportunities to meet global team members, Fellows, and partners to learn more about Ashoka’s array of programs and offerings
Ashoka team members are typically entrepreneurial individuals who are willing and able to work in a number of different capacities.
- Self-motivation and intrapreneurial drive
- Value accountability, flexibility, and time management
- Ability to work independently and in a creative, collaborative office environment
- Desire to cause systemic change and gain experience in the social entrepreneurship sector
- Proficiency in English and exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in any other language is highly valued (but is not mandatory)
- Prior internship volunteer, or coursework experience in the social impact sector (but is not mandatory)
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, LightRoom, Premiere Pro) is highly valued (but not mandatory)
- Time commitment: 10-40 hours per week (flexible)
- Duration: 3 - 6 months (extendable depending on evolving project requirements, personal goals, and your timeline)
- Compensation: These positions are currently unpaid
- Language: High command of the English language is required. Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, Bahasa Indonesian, Hindi, French or other languages is an added benefit (but not necessary)
- Location: Ashoka Global Office in Rosslyn, Virginia (some Volunteer/Intern roles may be partially remote)
- Application deadline: For summer applicants, please apply by March 1st. Candidates are reviewed on a rolling basis.
We are looking for interns in the Summer at this time. Apply by March 1st.
*Please include and Resume and 1-page Cover Letter explaining your preparedness and interest in this internship.
In the Cover Letter, please share your expected timeline (e.g. Spring semester, summer, Fall semester, etc.)
Please reach out to email@example.com for questions about LeadYoung Internships.
Ashoka is an equal opportunity employer and invites applications from candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or religion. The position is based in the global Ashoka office in Arlington, Virginia, USA.
For more information visit us at https://www.ashoka.org/getinvolved/team