Ashoka - US Team - Intern
Ashoka U.S. Internship Job Description
Ashoka’s U.S. team selects and supports leading social entrepreneurs (Ashoka Fellows) and actively integrates them into our national and international network (of 4,000 Fellows in 90 countries). We also create innovative, creative communications pieces and events to spread insights and knowledge about the impact and work of our Fellows. Especially in this moment, we offer a remarkable bird’s eye view of how our Fellows are working to address systemic racism, its effects, and how they drive change.
Ashoka U.S. continually creates programming and tracks progress of our 250+ Fellows in the U.S. We also engage with leading media houses, both traditional and new, to put the work of our Fellows at the forefront of the public discourse and amplify their changemaking stories. We are currently recruiting 2 outstanding interns to collaborate with us and provide support on projects, to include:
- Social innovation ecosystem mapping: Help us follow up on leads, map clusters of social innovation, identify prospective nominators and candidates, and prepare research briefs and reports.
- Storytelling: Support storytelling projects about the world’s changemakers. Skillsets needed might include video/audio editing, digital design, writing and storytelling.
- Media Ecosystem: Map ecosystem of media partners, and awards/funding in design and storytelling. Create and design content around our programs/events for our social media. Research and potentially help launch podcast.
- Assist in Candidate Panels and preparation: Ashoka searches the world for leading social entrepreneurs through an intensive, human-centered process, selecting them into our global, trust-based fellowship of peers. Panel is a step in the candidate process that allows Ashokans and leading social entrepreneurs to interview and assess the innovation and potential impact of the Fellowship Candidate.
- Critical projects and data management in Salesforce
- Attend and note-take key meetings and conversations with and among social entrepreneurs and other partners
- Interns will join weekly staff meetings and select online offerings and have the chance to learn from social entrepreneurs and leaders in the field.
Ashoka team members are entrepreneurial, ethical individuals who are willing and able to work in a number of different capacities. They can navigate nuts and bolts tasks as well as big picture thinking with ease. Therefore, Interns should have:
- Self-motivation and a strong entrepreneurial spirit: New ideas and projects thrill you!
- Desire to cause systemic change and gain experience in the social entrepreneurship sector.
- An investigative nature: Someone who loves to get to the bottom of a story.
- Research and analysis skills: You love digging for information and lifting out patterns from it.
- Ability to work independently and in a creative, collaborative team environment.
- Teamwork & communication skills: In the era of COVID-19 this will be a remote internship. The candidate must be excited to explore new and unique ways to work with, learn from & have fun with their team.
- Proficiency in English and exceptional communication skills (written and spoken)
For the communications focused projects: Experience with social media analytics and working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn is a plus – as is prior experience in feature writing, social media campaign management, and video/audio editing.
For Venture/Fellowship focused projects: Previous experience professionally writing and administrative skills are desired. This intern should be a source of energy to help the team carry out detailed processes. Experience with Salesforce is preferred.
- Time commitment: Part-time (20-25 hours per week)
- Duration: 10 – 12 weeks (extendable depending on evolving project requirements and personal goals)
- Compensation: This in an unpaid internship but we are eager to work with students and universities that will provide the student course credit or scholarships/grants for their work with Ashoka.
- Location: Remote! In the era of COVID-19, we are excited to work with skilled individuals from across the country!
- Necessary Technology: Intern must have their own (or access to a) computer and web camera for this role.
- Application deadline: ASAP. We can’t wait to hear from you!
*******Please submit a document attached to your application with the answers to these questions:
- What drives your curiosity?
- What about working at Ashoka excites you?
- What is the most interesting idea you have heard in the last 6 months?
- What would you like to accomplish during this internship?
- If any, please detail the video/audio editing and digital design platforms that you are proficient in and how many years you have been using each.