Job Title: Spheres Trainer
Job Location: Amazon SEA Campus
Position Reports To: Spheres Program Manager
Date: January 2019
The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. The specific duties may change as the position evolves.
Who We Are:
When People of all Abilities Learn and Work Together, Everyone Benefits. The purpose of Northwest Center (NWC) is to change society so that people of all abilities engage with each other fully in classrooms, workplaces, and the community. Legally structured as a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation, Northwest Center is more broadly a "for-purpose" organization that uses and blends the best techniques of human services, business, and philanthropy in innovative ways.
As a social enterprise organization, Northwest Center proves to the world every day that employing people of all abilities can be a powerful competitive advantage. Northwest Center’s businesses generate over $5 million annually that Northwest Center reinvests into human services while covering 100% of the overhead expense of the organization and building cash reserves for future sustainability.
Northwest Center’s mission is to promote the growth, development, and independence of people with disabilities through programs of therapy, education, and work opportunity.
Amazon is a fast paced corporate environment and we are here to provide professional, 5-star customer service. The Spheres Trainer is responsible for designing and conducting training programs that will boost employee workplace performance in alignment with the visions and goals of the Spheres and Understory. The trainer is responsible for performing training needs assessments, designing and delivering curriculum and learning materials and for managing all phases of training interventions. This position is also expected to perform the duties of a Spheres Ambassador when necessary. Frequent new job duties may be identified and added as necessary to meet operational needs.
Location: South Lake Union (Seattle)
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Train and acclimate new hires through orientation sessions designed and approved by relevant stakeholders.
- Assess training effectiveness to ensure incorporation of taught skills and techniques into employees’ work behavior.
- Ensure acquired skills in greeting technique, etiquette, positive communication and customer interaction.
- Attend and participate in regular training meetings with NWC Leadership, Amazon’s Horticulture team and the Understory Program Manager.
- Develop and update training materials as necessary to incorporate new policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Conduct ongoing training for staff to stay on top of all current policies, procedures, rules and guidelines.
- Utilize a variety of training methodologies, techniques, concepts, learning tools and practices to ensure maximum effectiveness of training programs.
- Provide ongoing support and mentorship to existing staff.
- Provide feedback to leadership regarding the performance and success of trained staff.
- Maintain and update Standard Operating Procedures.
- Conduct regular quality assurance audits of staff.
- New hire orientation and training to include, but not limited to:
- Key responsibilities of the Spheres Docent, Spheres Ambassador and Guest Services Representative roles.
- Opening and closing procedures of the Spheres and Understory.
- Policies, procedures, rules and guidelines of The Spheres and Understory.
- Amazon’s safety and security procedures.
- Setting up email rules and signatures, and general email etiquette.
- Interacting with guests, the media and VIP groups.
- Radio usage and care.
- Front desk issuing of loaner and visitor badges.
- Public Saturday processes and reservation management system.
- Giving guided tours.
- Assisting with events.
- Submitting trouble tickets.
- Handling escalations and discreet communications of such matters.
- Positive customer service tools and techniques.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 2+ years direct training experience.
- Proven ability to develop, deliver, and evaluate training curricula in a corporate training environment.
- Familiarity with a variety of training concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Exceptional facilitation, presentation, and listening skills.
- Ability to manage changing priorities, meet deadlines and adapt to a changing business environment.
- Horticulture knowledge and background a plus.
- Proficiency with MS Excel, MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, excellent analytical, planning, and process development skills.
- Demonstrated ability to respond effectively to multiple conflicting priorities, continuously prioritize deliverables and to respond in a dynamic work environment.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Humidity and or heat conditions may vary in order to sustain the plant life in the space.
- The temperature of The Spheres will be maintained between 70 and 75 degrees, with an average humidity of level of 60%.
- Daily duties include a combination of desk time and standing time. The ability to walk regularly within a 1.5-mile radius and stand for up to 4 hours at a time is required.
- Walking up and down stairs is required when roving the space and assessing staff.
- The space will be inhabited by various plant life, and any allergies may impede performance of duties.
- Sight (with or without corrective lenses) is required.
At Northwest Center, we do not just accept diversity and inclusion - we celebrate it, we support it, we live it and we flourish in it for the benefit of our employees, the community, and our clientele. It is our belief that our strength lies within our diversity and the forward motion towards a day when people of all abilities can learn and work together. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.