Software Engineer - Process Improvement - Virtual
Note: This position works with the process automation team and should have Microservices and React experience.
Goodway is the leading independent programmatic media services company on the planet. As a 3rd generation, family-owned business with no investors or debt, Goodway is fighting international conglomerates 30x its size and winning!
We're looking for a software engineer who wants to build and support a top-tier programmatic media buying platform, loves to build cool stuff and work hard, can communicate well, and has a personality that fits in with ours.
Our development philosophy is to work as small, focused, nimble groups, building everything from front-end to the back-end. We divide up work on a product basis and you'd be responsible for making sure your features have a clear user-interface, perform and scale, and have legible and easy to maintain code. You may not be familiar with all of the specific technologies we use, but you should be excited about the opportunities to pick them up.
The right person will feel at home at Goodway because:
• We prefer open source, being scrappy/nimble, and family values over proprietary technologies, all-day meetings and corporate bureaucracy.
• You can ditch your commute since we’re 100% virtual – everyone works at home but we get together a few times each year. We make being physically together a celebration filled with good times and opportunities for new experiences.
• We encourage personal growth and professional development through technical seminars/cyber-training, mentorships and leadership opportunities. We have a long history of promoting from within, and a career ladder which provides opportunities in both technical and managerial tracks.
• We focus on making your career fit into your life, not your life fitting into your career.
• We have a solid 5-year vision which we’d enjoy sharing with you during the interview process.
Things we’re looking for in our engineers:
• Several years experience writing software in a professional setting.
• Strong listening and communication skills (written and verbal), including the ability to communicate effectively with non-technical customers.
• Willingness and demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and skills.
• Ability to collaborate well with both internal groups and external partners and thrive in an agile environment with limited oversight.
• Comfortable and committed to multi-tasking work in a small but rapidly growing environment.
• We prefer people who are passionate about their craft, and ideally have an interest in internet advertising, algorithmic ad trading, workflow automation, a/b testing, data warehousing and solving business problems in collaboration with customers.
We’re looking for engineers who are strong hands-on coders but experience in every technology we use is not critical, as long as you’re committed to learning what you’re not familiar with already.
• Solid understanding of relational databases and data modeling/design techniques and tuning (non-relational database experience a plus).
• Advanced SQL skills including query optimization.
• Exposure to "big data" platforms and related tools & scripting languages including: Hadoop, Amazon EMR, Presto, Hive, Python, Spark, Scala, BASH & K-Shell scripting, etc.
• Work with Microservices and React
• While these are the technologies we currently use, we want to find people who are committed, like we are, to using the right tools for the job and want to be part of the evolution of our technical architecture and systems.
What you’ll be doing at Goodway
• Designing and building software with an emphasis on usability, quality, performance and maintainability.
• Work with product owners in an agile environment to analyze requirements and translate them into functioning software.
• Provide mentoring to and collaboration with other team members.
• Provide technical leadership on projects.
• Provide exceptional production support to internal departments, including keeping customer-facing teams in-the-loop regarding outstanding issues.
• Learning new technologies, practices and techniques and becoming a better engineer, leader and team member.
• Raise our collective IQ and acting as a strong contributor to our growing team.
• Having fun!