Personal Support Worker (PSW, DSW) (RFT 1.0)
Are you a new graduate, retired PSW or PSW looking to enter back into the field? You may qualify for the Personal Support Worker Return of Service (PSW ROS) through Health Force Ontario. This program provides a $5,000 incentive to eligible PSWs in exchange for a 6-month commitment to an eligible employer. To view eligibility requirements, click here: www.healthforceontario.ca/pswros
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: Assisted Living Services for High-Risk Seniors
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: OPSEU
Personal Support Workers will be responsible for providing companionship, personal care and health maintenance services to clients in their home or throughout the community within the framework of VON’s philosophy, policies, standards and legislation. As a Personal Support Worker you will work with members of the Healthcare and Personal Support teams to meet the needs of clients in obtaining an optimal level of independence and well-being.
This position is eligible for the $3.00 per hour wage enhancement from the Ontario Government for all hours spent directly caring for clients.
This position is eligible for the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s Personal Support Worker (PSW) Wage Enhancement Initiative for direct patient/client care.
- Observe the individual/family home and personal situation continuously to determine any need for change in personal support or professional assistance
- Contribute to the development of the personal support care plan, in conjunction with the Supervisor
- Implement the care plan, including:
- Promoting self care and independence
- Providing personal care, as directed by the Supervisor, which includes ambulatory assistance, meal planning and preparation, light housekeeping, respite, training, providing medication assistance, etc.
- Advocate on the client’s behalf to the Program Manager
- Requesting assessment by a health care professional as needed
- Continuously evaluate the personal support care plan to determine if the client’s needs have been met
- High school diploma.
- Must have certificate in Home Support Worker, Personal Support Worker, Developmental Services Worker or Health Care Aide.
- Nursing students are welcome to apply. Must have completed first year of Practical Nursing or BScN to be eligible
- Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs) are welcome to apply
- Household management experience.
- Experience working with elderly or ill individuals or children.
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Ability to work independently and problem solve
- Ability to adapt to change and work in various social and economic environments
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Cet article est disponible en français. Pour en demander une copie, veuillez téléphoné notre emplacement VON Kingston, numéro (613) 634-0130.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception). To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.