Information Security Specialist (RFT 1.0)
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: IT/IS
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days
On Call: Yes
Location: This position can be based out of any of our offices in Ontario and Nova Scotia. The position is currently remote but does require on-site attendance periodically when required.
The Information Security Specialist is responsible for applying an interdisciplinary, collaborative approach to plan, design, develop, verify, and maintain lifecycle-balanced information system security solutions.
- Identifies information assets and assesses risks, threats, and vulnerabilities, including the implementation of mitigation tactics within the VON network, in accordance with accepted industry and professional standards.
- Oversees the implementation and maintenance of an organization-wide information systems security plan as well as threat risk assessments.
- Ensures the integrity of security design, as well as the high availability and confidentiality of information within systems.
- Oversees the implementation and enforcement of security policies, as well as compliance within the organization of security-related technical standards and procedures.
- Performs complex tasks without direction, and provides technical leadership/direction to less experienced staff members.
- Performs routine internal auditing and testing of systems for security vulnerabilities and independently takes action to close security gaps in systems.
- Coordinates penetration testing, while working with external consultants, and conducts periodic external cyber-security and ITGC audits.
- Stays abreast of new security hardware and software solutions to minimize cyber-security risk position for the organization.
- Researches evolving cyber-security risks through industry groups, vendors, and internet-based security threat updates and advisories.
- Updates and modifies security-related policies and work procedures on a regular basis to meet current and evolving standards.
- Ensures appropriate risk mitigation, control processes, and protocols are followed for security incidents.
- Promotes the goals and values of VON and their role as an integrated community care provider
- Promotes a safe and healthy workplace ensuring workplace conduct and activities are in accordance with the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations.
- Abides by all VON policies and work practices
- Abides by all confidentiality and protection of personal information policies, regulations and practices and ensures appropriate safeguards are in place within their role
- Works in collaboration with other staff in a team approach to service delivery
External and Internal Relationships:
- Works closely with the systems administrators, and IT/IS team, providing technical guidance for new best practices, security management, and implementation of new cyber-security solutions.
- Frequent engagement with external vendors and consultants to research cyber-security software/hardware solutions as well as emerging threats within the industry.
- Engages with staff at all levels of the organization for identification & mitigation of cyber-security risk issues.
- Engage and manage third parties to perform compliance exercises as necessary.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- 4 year University Degree in Math, Computer Science or Science.
- 5 years of direct experience in systems security administration.
- A minimum of 2 years experience working within enterprise environment, supporting > 3,000 end users.
- Experience performing certification and implementing system cyber-security plan in an enterprise environment, CISSP an asset.
- Strong understanding of network penetration testing tools and techniques.
- Strong understanding of security and network forensics and management including endpoint security tools.
- Strong understanding of application security tools and techniques.
- Expert knowledge of networking protocols, intrusion techniques, firewall security configuration, and data encryption.
- Expert knowledge of file systems, sharing, rights management, active directory group policies, and security practices.
- Strong understanding of security of mobile applications and devices in an enterprise environment, and across multiple platforms.
- Strong understanding of applicable data privacy requirements and in the healthcare sector.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail and passion for technology.
- Strong customer-service orientation and focus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- On-Call availability to respond to critical security risks or adverse events.
- Some travel may be required.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Record is required.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception). To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.