Registered Nurse (RN) (RPT 0.6)
Employment Status: Permanent, Part-Time (0.6 FTE)
Program Name: Visiting Nursing
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 45
Work Schedule: Days, with an Evening and Weekend Rotation
Union/Bargaining Unit: NSNU
Area of work: Amherst, Cumberland County
Portability of Seniority as per NSNU Agreement
Are you passionate about helping people in your community live every day to the fullest? A career at VON is more than just a job. It’s an opportunity to use your talents to make a difference.
VON is looking for Nurses who have strong critical thinking skills, who enjoy working independently, continuous learning, and working to their full scope.
Our Registered Nurses provide acute nursing care to children, youth, adults and seniors who require medical care in their homes.
VON offers an extended orientation for new nurses. New grads are welcome to apply!
Our Nurses provide:
- Client assessments
- Diabetes management
- IV medications
- IV/CVAD care
- Medication management
- Palliative care
- Patient and family teaching
- Wound care; incl. negative pressure wound therapy and complex wounds
- …and much more!
- To provide and manage high quality and effective nursing care to all individuals who are assigned to your care
- Responsible to teach and delegate tasks and functions to different levels of workers and to family members and others in accordance with the standards and scope of practice as determined by VON and the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
- Comply with all standards, policies, procedures and legislative requirements
- Participate as a member of the health care team in relevant committees and working groups
- Registration with NSCN and a graduate from an accredited school of nursing
- Demonstrated competencies in observation, independent assessment and health education
- Experience providing nursing care to children, adults and seniors an asset
- Can effectively use software for client documents & communication
- Experience conducting comprehensive nursing assessments
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required
- Valid CPR C / First Aid required
Did you know that The Government of Canada offers Canada Student Loan forgiveness to eligible nurses who work in under-served rural or remote communities? Our Cumberland Site is in an area designated for Canada Student Loan forgiveness. You may be eligible for Canada Student Loan forgiveness if you meet other eligibility requirements. For more information visit:
VON is closely monitoring the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19 and following public health directives, including recommendations from the Government of Canada, and federal and provincial health authorities. The health and safety of our clients, their families and our staff are our top priority.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations where required. For more information, please visit http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Other terms commonly searched for this type of opportunity: Licensed Practical Nurse, LPN, nurse, LPN nurse, nursing, practical nurse, clinic nurse, community, home health care, new grad
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception). To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
In accordance with the Employer’s policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.