Professional Writing & English Language Tutor
In writing tutoring at the Center for Learning & Academic Success (CLAS), professional tutors assist undergraduate and graduate Suffolk students who seek writing support in one-on-one appointments or drop-in sessions both in person and online. In English language tutoring, professional tutors assist emerging multilingual undergraduate and graduate Suffolk students in improving their English proficiency both in person and online. Professional tutors may also lead weekly English language workshops.
Tutor students who request writing or English language assistance; facilitate English language workshops. Tutoring may be online or in person.
During open appointment blocks, perform various academic support tasks according to tutor’s skills and interests as assigned by CLAS management.
Attend training on specific topics related to assisting college students with writing/English language, assisting students of concern, etc. Training may be in person or online. Meet with program supervisors to discuss other issues.
Write notes for all student sessions in appointment tracking system (EAB Navigate).
- Master’s Degree or higher in English, Composition/Rhetoric, or related area.
- TESOL (or equivalent) certification or equivalent experience teaching emerging multilingual students. Candidates without English language instruction certification or experience will still be considered for professional writing tutor roles, but not for professional English language tutor roles.
Ideal candidates will be qualified to serve as both writing and English language tutors.
- Knowledge of successful strategies for tutoring a diverse college student population.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (especially linguistic inclusion) as well as anti-racist tutoring praxis.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in person on Suffolk’s downtown Boston campus
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Creativity and flexibility in tutoring is expected.
- Experience with EAB Navigate, TutorTrac, WCOnline, or other appointment management platforms a plus
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.