Leaves, Accommodations & Benefits Specialist
At Suffolk University we are driven by the power of education, inclusion, and engagement to change lives and positively impact communities. Committed to excellence, we provide students with experiential and transformational learning opportunities that begin in the center of Boston, reach across the globe, and lead to extraordinary outcomes for our graduates. Suffolk University draws its energy from the vibrant urban heart of Boston, with its spectrum of cultures, customs, values, and expression, and from the rest of the world, in the places our students and faculty call home. It’s the ideal foundation upon which to build a truly diverse university community.
Reporting to the Director of Total Rewards, the Leaves, Accommodations & Benefits Specialist will have a strong knowledge of leave administration policies and a proven track record of managing employee absences and accommodations. The Leaves, Accommodations & Benefits Specialist serves as the subject matter expert and is often the first point of contact for employees who are requesting a leave from work or accommodation and serves as a liaison between the employees, their supervisors, and the HR Business Partners who provide support for specified departments. Additionally, this role works closely with our Benefits team supporting the Benefits Manager in the day-to-day administration, annual open enrollment, and strategic initiatives related to the University benefit and wellness programs.
A hybrid schedule is available for this position.
Leave & Accommodation
- Serve as the initial contact for employee leave requests, accommodation requests, and worker's compensation claims.
- Work with Suffolk’s third-party leave administer on the full life cycle of the leave request including employees’ initial notice of the need for leave and return to work
- Maintain effective communication with employees on leave to facilitate a smooth and timely return to work; advise managers and employees on the interaction of leave laws with paid time off, and disability benefits.
- Serves as the subject matter expert for Federal and State leave programs under the general direction and guidance of HR leadership. Have a thorough understanding of state-paid family leave laws and their interplay with company benefits.
- Oversees the return-to-work process for employees returning from extended FMLA, worker's compensation, or other leaves.
- Facilitate other leave requests, which may include parental leaves, and accommodation requests under the ADA.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of leave and accommodation requests in accordance with specified legal requirements and documentation of best practices.
- Serve as the HR representative to Suffolk’s Third-Party Administrator for Accommodations under the ADA.
- Facilitate and lead the Interactive Process between the University and Employees for accommodation requests under the ADA.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Oversee and manage all aspects of Workers Compensation. Work closely with claims adjusters and supervisors to ensure compliance with all applicable Federal/State/Local laws and company policy. Work closely with claims adjusters on closing claims in a timely manner.
- Assist with Workers Compensation annual audits.
Benefits & Wellness
- Collaborate with other benefits team members to respond to employee's inquiries regarding their health and welfare programs, including open enrollment, medical, dental, vision, FSAs, employee and dependent life insurance, LTD, and 403b plans.
- Maintain employee intranet benefit content and update as needed.
- Assist with Open Enrollment communications, presentations, auditing, etc.
- Assist with annual benefit-related audits and HRIS system testing as needed.
- Manage wellness initiatives and help create and launch new programs in alignment with University wellness goals.
- Coordinate wellness-related communications and marketing.
- Support the Manager of Benefits on projects and initiatives as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years previous Direct Leave and Benefits experience.
- Prior experience with multi-state benefits, specifically in states with paid family leave laws.
- Experience handling a high volume of leave cases, experience with complex leave and ADA cases.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage conflicting deadlines.
- A general understanding of payroll and accounting functions, specifically related to their interaction with Benefits.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. As an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, the University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.