Immunization Compliance Coordinator
Suffolk University seeks a qualified nursing professional with experience in medical records, immunization compliance, or other administrative responsibilities in a healthcare setting to join our busy and dynamic Health Services team within the integrated Counseling, Health & Wellness (CHW) department. Reporting to the Director of Medical Operations, the Immunization Compliance Coordinator is responsible for implementing CHW’s immunization compliance activity related to both Massachusetts and Suffolk mandated vaccines for students. This work includes processing student submission of immunization documentation, maintaining accurate immunization records in CHW’s electronic health system, communication and collaboration with campus partners, students, and families, and active implementation of compliance activities as directed by CHW and University policy.
This position is an exciting opportunity to join a committed group of medical and mental health practitioners who provide holistic care to Suffolk’s diverse population of undergraduate and graduate students. This position offers the opportunity to work closely with specific populations such as international students with specific vaccine-related needs and questions. In addition, while this position focuses on immunization compliance, all staff have opportunities to participate in health promotion efforts across the breadth of health topics important to college students. Suffolk University offers a generous benefit package and a collegial and supportive working environment. This position is expected work on-site 5 days per week during the academic year; some occasional after-hours work is expected to participate in required compliance activity on campus.
Successful candidates will bring an interest in administrative work within a healthcare setting, strong detail-orientation, excellent communication and collaboration skills, commitment to working with diverse populations, and an awareness of healthcare disparities and willingness to address how healthcare environments can best meet cultural or other identity-based concerns among students. CHW is committed to providing culturally responsive services to the diverse population students at Suffolk University, including in our immunization compliance efforts. For this reason, all CHW staff members participate in ongoing professional development related to diversity and inclusion.
- Monitor and keep current with immunization compliance requirements regarding COVID and other immunizations required by Suffolk and/or the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Collaborate with the Director of Medical Operations and the CHW Director in updating communications regarding immunization requirements, including the CHW webpages, admissions and orientation communications, letters to individual students, and social media or other promotional materials.
- Collaborate with the CHW Director and/or Director of Medical Operations regarding religious and medical exemption forms and verification of exemptions.
- Monitor and collaborate with the CHW Healthcare Data and Systems Specialist regarding our Electronic Health Record data management system.
- Collaborate with the CHW healthcare Data and Systems Specialist in configuration of the Electronic Health Record workflow for verification of immunization history, processing of automated MIIS data to address both Massachusetts and Suffolk required vaccinations, including COVID. Train administrative staff to assist with this process as needed.
- Collaborate with the Healthcare Data and Systems Specialist regarding routine data reporting related to compliance (vaccination rates, unknowns, exemption counts)
- Collaborate with Director of Medical Operations in developing relationships with specific student populations (International Students, Residential Students) in order to facilitate compliance activity.
- In collaboration with the CHW Director and the Director of Medical Operations, establish compliance timelines and production timelines for data related to compliance activities impacting students (registration holds, etc). Work collaboratively with other Suffolk departments (Registrar’s office, RAM Card, etc) to facilitate accurate compliance activity.
- Establish protocols and engage in communication with students, parents, or families regarding immunization compliance status, working collaboratively with CHW leadership, administrative coordinators, and others to provide timely and accurate information.
- Ability to occasionally engage in after-hours work related to immunization compliance activity during Suffolk Orientation and Move-in dates to facilitate communication with students and families.
Infectious Disease Response
- Assist with compliance activities related to vaccination, testing, and other protocols.
- Staff test-sites and vaccine/booster clinics when needed.
- Provide other clinical or administrative assistance, consistent with licensure, as needed.
Direct Patient Care
- Provide assistance with vaccine administration or other clinical functions when needed in the medical clinic consistent with licensure.
- Other administrative duties as assigned by the CHW Director or Director of Medical Operations.
- Provision of occasional coverage for Administrative Coordinators working at the front desk (phone calls, checking students in for visits, answering emails).
- Minimum Associates Degree in nursing (LPN). Bachelor’s degree in nursing (RN) or degree in public health, social work, or other related field preferred.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience using an electronic health record. Knowledge of software including MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Microsoft Teams. Comfort with learning and operating new software.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and customer service orientation.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member within a fast-paced, collaborative and supportive environment.
- Demonstrated experience with clinical data and reporting, including experience with medical records or other large-scale data systems.
- Other experience in higher education.
- Experience working with a diverse populations and/or in diverse work environments. Values diversity and able to work with individuals from a wide variety of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. As an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, the University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.