Design Engineer I
- To improve SEWS group capabilities for new model development, which requires ability to control project quality, cost, design, and delivery
- To develop future Electronics and Electrical Distribution System (E&EDS) products and to improve current product design to maintain position as primary development partner for Honda/HRA-O
- Communicate with parent company in Japan, internally with SEWS groups, and Honda as needed (Japanese speaking and writing skills required)
- Create and review overall project plan to achieve customers' needs and company strategy for new model development
- Control and manage products in quality, cost, design, and delivery areas to achieve targets
- Communicate and coordinate between customers and internal design section for development activities. Overtime may be needed for meetings with Japan to discuss customer requests
- Create high-quality drawings for E&EDS circuit diagrams, components, and assemblies using CATIA V5
- Analyze specification requirements to determine the feasibility of the E&EDS product, applying engineering principles in product development
- Coordinate and support customer and internal design review activities
- Work with other design engineers to review and establish alternatives and countermeasures against design review results
- Support new business competition through engineering of new technology, new products, and other value-added proposals (presentation skills required)
- Interface with customers on all technical aspects of E&EDS future trends
- Create countermeasures for field concerns and VA/VE investigation
- Support product maturation activities - domestic and international travel may be needed for visiting suppliers
Minimum Position Specifications
- BS Degree in Engineering required (BSEE, BSME preferred)
- Japanese bilingual required (speaking/writing)
- Experience in automotive and E&EDS-related product development and design preferred
- Team-oriented/strong communication skills and self-motivation for challenging tasks required
- CATIA and other CAD system experience preferred
- 1-5 years of progressive engineering experience
About Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems, Inc.
Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems, Inc. (SEWS) is part of the Sumitomo family of companies, a 400 year old brand with a reputation for quality and reliability. With the support of facilities throughout North America, SEWS has been delivering innovative solutions to automakers for over 25 years, and is a leading supplier of electrical distribution systems, components and electronics. SEWS is committed to technical development worldwide and with a global network of resources, is able to deliver a truly competitive advantage to each of our customers. Our associates are what drive Sumitomo’s continued growth, which is why we proudly offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life, 401(k) with match, tuition benefits, paid holidays and vacation.
To learn more about us, please visit www.sewsus.com.
Follow Us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/sumitomo-electric-wiring-systems
About the Sumitomo Electric Group
Since the founding of Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd. in 1897 with copper wire production, we have developed many new technologies and products through innovative R&D activities based on Sumitomo Electric manufacturing technologies for electric wires and power cables. With more than 350 subsidiaries worldwide, we continue to introduce a wide variety of products that fulfill the expectations of society, in five business fields: Automotive, Information & Communications, Electronics, Environment & Energy, and Industrial Materials. We are a Fortune global 500 company.
To learn more about Sumitomo Electric Group, please visit http://global-sei.com.
Follow Us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/sumitomo-electric
**Interested Candidates Should Submit Cover Letter and Salary History When Applying.**
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V