Project Survey Specialist
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Project Survey Specialist
Project Engineering Supervisor
330 South U.S. Highway 301, Sumterville, FL 33585
Based on qualifications and experience
Non-Represented – Exempt
# of Vacancies:
*This posting will be closed and no longer available to receive applications upon SECO Energy’s discretion.
^ SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving over 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in
Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
^ SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
^ Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
This position performs assignments requiring extensive knowledge and application of field surveying techniques, legal property descriptions, topographic surveys, easement negotiation and acquisition, property mosaic generation, project staking/marking, and producing boundary surveys. This position interacts with customers, engineering personnel, IVM personnel and construction crews.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Competencies
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
4 Year / Bachelors Degree
bachelor’s degree surveying, geomatics, mapping, engineering, or related discipline. (e.g., Land Use Planning, Surveying or Agricultural Management)
Possess a professional surveyor license issued by the State of Florida or ability to obtain a Florida license within one year of employment
Three years progressive survey experience including experience with negotiations of average difficulty for utility easement acquisition.
Experience or similar work with an electric utility or related industry.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Frequent business travel to all areas of service territory required.
- Normal work hours shall be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen.
A valid Florida Driver's License
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to interpret legal descriptions for real property transactions; processes and procedures involved in execution of deeds, permits, and easements.
- Ability to maintain confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- Ability to manage and communicate with stakeholders including members, internal SECO departments, construction, Cooperative attorneys, and management on multiple projects.
- Ability to perform field survey activities and prepare associated legal documentation such as legal descriptions for easements.
- Effective business communication skills including written, verbal and listening to effectively interact with employees and managers; prepare and present effective presentations to clearly explain maps and diagrams of geographically areas of interest; effective planning and organizational skills, documentation and detail orientation; ability to complete assignments and meet deadlines and work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent customer service orientation and interpersonal skills; ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications including digital file records management; ability to acquire skills in the use of other applicable database programs.
- Skill in and acquiring easements, including adequate rights for standard easement clearing and property for utility services; ability to acquire permits for construction of utility substations.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Verification The above qualifications and competencies for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions and technical skills exercise(s).
Essential Duties and responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds on a regular basis and occasionally lift/move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has general office environment, frequent field work and exposure to adverse weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.