Manager of System Planning & Expansion
Jobvite, our Applicant Tracking System third party administrator, uses Amazon's SES Platform and unfortunately emails are being blocked by most email engines and directed to your JUNK/SPAM folders. We want to make sure you see receive and can see all communications related to your application; therefore, we are kindly asking that after you submit an application frequently visit your junk/spam folders and look for emails that end in [email protected] via amazonses.com. We apologize for the inconvenience.
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Manager of System Planning & Expansion
Chief Operating Officer
330 S HWY 301, Sumterville, FL 33585
Starting from $192,000
# of Vacancies:
*This posting will be closed and no longer available to receive applications upon SECO Energy’s discretion.
^ SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving over 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in
Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
^ SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, genetics or individuals with disabilities, or protected veteran status.
^ Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for directing and developing the team of project engineers, system planning engineers, and field project engineers tasked with planning, inspection, and managing capital construction projects driven by new residential development requests. The position is responsible for delivering best in the industry member satisfaction through the development of procedures, processes, metrics, and service standards concerning the development of subdivision designs, ensuring compliance with rate tariffs and Board policies; calculation and collection of appliable CIAC fees; design standards of overhead, underground, and lighting; developer complaint resolution; construction standards; material specifications; and construction inspection.
The position will be responsible for continual process improvements within the Engineering Department and managing departmental and corporate strategic initiatives to successful completion. In addition, this position also has responsibility for Public Service Commission (PSC) reporting including the CIAC cost study, average member usage surveys, and construction unit cost surveys.
This position is responsible for developing construction work plans, RUS loan documents, and annual construction and operating budgets. They are also responsible for system load forecasts, load projections, and assuring that SECO’s electrical system has the capacity and capability of delivering safe, reliable, and cost-effective power to SECO’s members in peak load conditions. They are “Subject Matter Experts” (SME) in NESC standards and actively seek new materials to use in the construction and maintenance activities of the Cooperative.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Competencies
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
4 Year / Bachelors Degree
Registration as a Professional Engineer in Florida.
Master’s in business, engineering, or related technical area.
Project Management Certification or Six Sigma Black Belt.
Ten (10) years’ experience in electric utility distribution systems and operations with emphasis on overhead and underground distribution design including residential and commercial developments.
Three (3) years in a management position supervising multiple individuals and functions.
Experience with RUS and managing construction loan documents for distribution and transmission projects.
Experience implementing standardized work processes and the ability to interpret and compose workflow process charts, coordinating emergency response activities.
Experience with construction standards and work order inspection for an electric utility.
Experience or similar work with an electric utility or related industry.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- A valid Florida driver’s license for regular driving privileges of a company vehicle; must have and maintain an acceptable driving record as determined by SECO Energy.
- Frequent business travel to all areas of service territory required.
- Normal work hours shall be eight (8) hours between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively evaluate, coordinate, and manage multiple projects and determine appropriate prioritization and resource assignment in order to meet required schedules for each assignment.
- Ability to maintain confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to accurately and promptly perform multiple priorities calmly and effectively in all situations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electric system planning, financial analysis, and regulatory requirements.
- Effective communications skills including written, verbal, and listening, effectively prepare reports, business correspondence, procedures and training manuals; and prepare and conduct presentations to employees, management, vendors, subcontractors, government agencies.
- Effective leadership skills and ability to make and implement sound decisions; demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills and time management; detail oriented; strong analytical and process management skills; demonstrated change management aptitude and ability.
- Excellent conflict management skills; initiative to seek a variety of tasks/accountabilities beyond the normal job responsibilities and work to exceed expectations; ability to maintain confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to accurately and promptly perform multiple priorities calmly and effectively in all situations.
- Strong financial planning, forecasting, and analysis skills. Has the ability to craft construction work plans and RUS loan documents.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office products; GIS systems and distribution/transmission design software; ability to acquire skills in the use of applicable corporate database programs and customer information systems. Prefer GE Design Manager or similar computer aided design program experience.
- Thorough knowledge of electricity and solid understanding of transmission and distribution line design; design of fiber optic communication systems; utility and NESC specifications; mechanical line design calculations; design guides and costs.
- Thorough knowledge of RUS specifications and standards and understands the requirements and processes involved in authorizing a RUS Form 219 and Form 7.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
The above qualifications and competencies for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions and technical skills exercise(s).
Essential Duties and responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
This position has responsibility for setting the direction for the Engineering Services / Engineering System Planning & Expansion group; effectively communicating the goals and expectations of the department to its members and how those goals inter-relate to the departmental and corporate strategic goals; evaluate and develop the capabilities of team members; provide direction, coordination and evaluation of employees in order to promote efficient, effective, and measured results. This person is expected to perform supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has general sedentary office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Occasional business travel may be required.