Volunteer Operations Coordinator (Part-time)
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals, and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the city. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Department
Our Event Development and Production department develops and produces NYRR events from concept all the way through execution in a way that fulfills NYRR’s mission. NYRR produces 56 races per year, in addition to the TCS New York City Marathon, and additional events within each race. The events team is responsible for physical site management, volunteer management, hospitality and special events, safety & security, and managing our Warehouse and all race collateral.
The Volunteer Operations team mobilizes volunteers to make the mission visible to the city of New York by delivering the highest-quality events year-round. The team works cross functionally to meet the needs of the program participants and external partners to contribute towards the well-being of the community.
About the Position
As a member of the Volunteer Operations team, the Part-time Coordinator will work 25 hours a week and report to the Director of Volunteer Operations, and support efforts to recruit, educate, and manage all volunteers that are needed to support 50 plus NYRR events, including the 5-borough series and the TCS NYC Marathon. The Part-time Coordinator will also work with outside organizations to strengthen NYRR community connections while creating additional volunteer opportunities for NYRR members.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Assist with the management of the customer service experience for over 7,000 Marathon Day volunteers (25,000 plus volunteers year-round).
- Create and post volunteer opportunities for all events including but not limited to the TCS New York City Marathon, the UA NYC Half Marathon, and the RBC Brooklyn Half Marathon.
- Assist Volunteer Group Leaders in all recruitment efforts. Send all communications to Group Leaders each week through the end of registration for each event.
- Outreach to potential volunteer groups to help grow the impact of volunteers at the Marathon.
Volunteer Leader Program
- Manage Volunteer Leader Program communications, including applicant status and event reminders.
- Assist the team in organizing orientations and continuing education sessions for Volunteer Leaders.
- Assist with managing volunteers at on-site events as needed.
- Assist with projects as needed.
- At least 1 year customer service experience.
- Experience in recruitment or community organizing.
- Experience with volunteer recruitment and management software preferred.
- Familiarity and understanding of social media channels.
- The ability to comprehend complicated projects and create a of set step-by-step plans to complete them.
- Thrive in a teamwork setting that includes constant collaboration.
Skills and Attributes:
- Must have strong leadership and communicative skills; ability to work and manage diverse groups a must.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills, analytical talent, and attention to detail.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Ease with public speaking and facilitation to represent NYRR at various volunteer related functions.
- Ability to meet and perform under tight deadlines, think clearly under pressure, and exercise good judgment.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Applications (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams, etc.)
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours and various weekends.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment greater than 25lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- CPR/AED and First Aid Certification a plus.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer