Event Production Lead
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
Our Event Development and Production department develops and produces NYRR events from concept all the way through execution in a way that fulfills NYRR’s mission. NYRR produces 56 races per year, in addition to the TCS New York City Marathon, and additional events within each race. The events team is responsible for physical site management, volunteer management, hospitality and special events, safety & security, and managing our Warehouse and all race collateral.
About the Position
This position will report to the Senior Manager, Event Development & Production, with the core responsibility of managing, leading and producing NYRR events properties, including the TCS New York City Marathon.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Manage all aspects of the project life cycle for NYRR events: expense tracking and invoice reconciliation, site planning, permits/approvals, timelines, preparation of logistics, run of shows and scripts, announcer scheduling, stage management, power and sound, live entertainment, staffing, vendor and contract management, execution of sponsorship activation plans and runner engagement activities and event execution. Post-event reconciliation and preparation of reports and recaps.
- Lead roles for the Five Borough Series events and a lead role and year-round planning for the TCS New York City Marathon (major event area lead)
- Management and focus on sponsored and street events, in addition to Central Park and Prospect Park events.
- Develop and create site layouts using Google Maps, Auto Cad, or similar mapping software.
- Oversee ordering of materials from outside vendors; acting as point-of-contact ensuring delivery and placement; processing related vendor payments.
- Collaborate with the Runner Services (Customer Service), Warehousing, Production, Race Scoring, Staffing / Volunteer, Hospitality, Broadcast and Medical teams to ensure all plans integrate seamlessly into the overall event operation.
- Assist Senior Manager and Director with Request for Proposal process, bid analysis and budget preparation for all phases of event production
- Develop and maintain event standards (production levels, runner services and amenities, medical, safety, security, communications, technology solutions and contingency plans), standard operating procedures, planning management tools and event analytics for all NYRR races with the goal of optimizing operational efficiencies
- Mentor Assistant Managers and Interns through project planning.
- Liaison externally with City Agencies (NYC Parks Dept, Central Park Conservancy, Prospect Park Alliance, NYPD, FDNY, The Mayor’s Office, Department of Transportation, Department of Sanitation, MTA) and local communities to ensure successful operation of NYRR events.
- Liaison internally with departments (Strategic Partnerships, Marketing, Strategy & Planning, IT and Finance) to ensure the entire organization is together on partner deliverables, brand messaging and runner communications, overall organizational strategy and budgets for NYRR event properties
- Other duties and department projects as assigned.
- Minimum 3-5 years of event project management experience, preferably in the sports and/or entertainment industries, including a strong logistical/operational and customer service background as well as Run of Show, Scripting and Stage Management Experience.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Skills and Attributes:
- Must have event site planning and management experience. Working knowledge of event site planning, power, lighting, connectivity and A/V. Previous experience in the NYC event planning landscape is preferred.
- Ability to manage to budgets and work within established budgetary guidelines for each event
- Willingness to travel, work various weekends and extended hours as needed.
- Must have strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment; ability to manage part-time staff.
- Focused attention to detail. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Works well under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Comfortable presenting to organizational senior management and external City Agencies.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- USATF Official Certification and technical knowledge of road racing preferred.
- FEMA Level 100, 200, 700 and 800 training preferred.
- CPR/AED and First Aid Certification preferred.
- Forklift certification preferred.
- Proficient in Spanish a plus.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment greater than 25lbs.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer