This is a 2 year grant funded position.
The Laboratory Technician will assist the Principal Investigator (PI) with their research funded by the NSF OPUS Grant DEB-2140319 entitled - A Career in Cycad Biology: An e-monograph.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organization culture throughout the institution.
The New York Botanical Garden is committed to an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible work environment, and further recognizes that diversity in our workforce fosters excellence in our mission of advocating for the plants of the world. Leveraging the strong foundation of existing policies and practices, NYBG will advance inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility through a number of institutional initiatives. Our aspiration is to continue to cultivate a workforce and institution that is as diverse as the communities we serve and the audiences we engage.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Laboratory Technician will be responsible for daily operations in the Pfizer Lab pertaining to the NSF OPUS Grant - A Career in Cycad Biology: An e-monograph.
- Assisting the PI with research activities in the Herbarium and Structural Botany laboratory
- Photomicroscopy of extensive Cycad anatomy slides and data basing that collection
- Digitizing historic and contemporary 35 mm photographs and data basing that collection
- Ordering reagents and other supplies for Structural Botany
- Maintaining Microscopic equipment
- Experimenting with new techniques in photomicroscopy
- Assist with laboratory tours
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in botany or biology
- Experience with standard techniques in plant anatomy and collections data, or a willingness to be trained in these techniques. Experience with microscopy or willingness to be trained in this technique
- Willingness and ability to obtain a C14 license from the FDNY within 6 months of starting
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to effectively communicate with a broad range of lab users, administrative staff, and the public
Please be advised, as a term and condition of accepting a job offer the candidate for employment must submit proof of full vaccination. Candidates for employment unable to submit proof of full vaccination at the time of the offer will not be considered for employment.
This policy is subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the American for Disabilities Act (ADA) and other EEO consideration. If you believe that because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief that you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or exemption to this policy please contact [email protected].
If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at [email protected]
EOE/BIPOC/F/Persons with disabilities/Veterans