Banista (Banana Attendant) for Northwest Center Services @ Amazon
Northwest Center is hiring a Banista (Banana Attendant) to join the team!
In 2015, Amazon opened Seattle’s first Community Banana stand for the community and offers free bananas for everyone who passes by. Amazon chose bananas because they’re healthy, fully compostable, and an affordable snack. Since then, Amazon’s notable and beloved Banana Stands have expanded throughout all the Amazon campuses.
Northwest Center has been supporting this operation by finding talented employees to operate Amazon’s community banana stands, called Banistas. Through our partnership with Amazon, Northwest Center, a non-profit organization, can focus on our efforts to support and advocate for individuals with disabilities. The work we do every day contributes to the advancement of equal opportunities for children and adults with disabilities through programs of therapy, education, and work opportunity.
As a Banista, you can be proud to be part of a warm, friendly team that provides 5-star customer service to all corporate employees and community members. In this role, you will be restocking inventory, tracking daily metrics, and communicating issues efficiently.
Watch a video to learn more about the Amazon Banana Stand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bObPwETly8E
Location: Crystal City, VA and Greater DMV Area
When: Monday – Friday, an 8-hour shift, between the hours of 6:30AM - 4PM
Starting Wage Range – $20.96 per hour | Full Wage Range – $20.96 - $24.95 per hour
What we can offer:
- Competitive and affordable Medical (including hearing & hardware coverage!), Dental, Vision, Disability, and Life insurance
- 17 Accrued Paid Time Off Days Annually
- Additional 11 Annual Floating Holidays, Parental Leave, and Paid Compassion Leave
- Retirement 401(K) with a company match
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP) including six free therapy sessions per year
- Physical Wellness Reimbursement Program - $25 per month
- Student Loan Contribution Program - $50 per month
- Northwest Center is proud to offer its staff an income Protection Benefit to those potentially affected by COVID-19
Check out the entire list of benefits Northwest Center has to offer here: http://www.nwcbenefits.com/
**Please submit a resume with your application**
- Assisting with daily set-up and/or tear down of stand, including occasional decorations
- Greeting and engaging every visitor to the stand in a friendly, warm, professional, and courteous manner
- Selecting appropriate music to play during operating hours
- Unloading bananas from boxes into crates, keeping the stand full and plentiful, and sorting any bruised or damaged bananas out
- Ensuring the banana stand is organized and clean at all times, including emptying the compost bin when full
- Tracking daily metrics in tracking software, comments, general inquiries, and public response
- Learning FAQ’s and banana facts to share with visitors
- Communicating issues needing supervisor attention immediately
- Creating and submitting posts for PR approval to the Banana Stand Twitter account
- Working at various banana stand locations (including some offsite locations) between 6:30am and 4:00pm Monday through Friday, including occasional after-hours requests and the weekend
- Training on all reception duties including but not limited to hanging posters, covering desks, lunch hand out, and distribution of supplies
Experience and Skills Required:
- One (1+) years of customer service experience
- Able to do subtraction, multiplication, and division for equations up to 3 digits
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite
- Strong conflict resolution and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Can work independently with limited supervision and as part of a team
- Ability to understand, interpret and follow Northwest Center (NWC) and Amazon Policies and Procedures
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Must be able to stand and/or sit outdoors in all weather conditions above 35 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 to 4 hours at a time and up to 8 hours for the day
- Must be able to handle bananas and/or various food products without allergic reaction
- Potential to work in conditions below 40 degrees for up 3 hours
- Must be able to lift bananas and stack boxes up to 50 lbs. repeatedly
- Ability to move consistently within a 1.5 radius is required
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including occasionally arriving early, staying late on a moment’s notice and occasional evening and weekend shifts
- This is a dog friendly environment with over 1000 dogs on campus. Individuals with dog allergies or those who do not particularly care for dogs may not be the best fit
Northwest Center is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact us at [email protected].
At Northwest Center, we do not just accept diversity and inclusion — we celebrate it, support it, live it, and flourish in it to benefit our employees, the community, and our clientele. We believe that our strength lies within our diversity and the forward motion towards a day when people of all abilities can learn and work together.
We believe that curiosity and critical thinking are essential to the dialogue and improving decision-making, planning, resource allocation, and how we treat others. Our goal is to create and implement more equitable practices, policies, and culture. To be equitable means to value and respect individuals from all cultural backgrounds, genders, races, identities, and abilities. Northwest Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, including disability and veterans’ status.