Senior Life Science Architect
NBBJ is a design and architecture firm, fueled by ideas and a culture of collaboration. With offices around the globe, the diverse perspectives of your future colleagues and clients will inspire and challenge you to be extraordinary. Innovation and creativity are at the heart of our work: creating spaces and experiences that better connect people to each other as they live, learn, and work in their communities. We partner with pioneers like Amazon, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and Massachusetts General Hospital as we create solutions for tomorrow guided by our vision: we design for life. Are you interested in designing what’s next? Join us.
This role at a glance:
This is an excellent opportunity to join NBBJ New York as a Senior Life Science Architect. We seek a talented and innovative someone with relevant experience in designing and delivering Core & Shell projects for Commercial Life Sciences companies and developers. The ideal candidate will be able to speak to Clients, Partners, Principals, and Studio members to identify needs and produce effectively.
Being located in New York is a plus, however, NBBJ is open to discussions with interested individuals that might be located on the East Coast in the DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia or Boston areas. Both the region's market opportunities and the current hybrid work mode could align well to produce a highly effective and productive partnership.
In your new role:
- Provide expertise in executing life-science projects to team members, clients and contractors from feasibility through construction administration
- Work with clients to identify objectives and formulate options
- Establish key work priorities for development of technical design, documentation, scheduling and budgeting
- Collaborate with project teams, interpret design concepts and translate them into workable construction systems
- Evaluate, select and apply advanced architectural and design methods with responsibility for project assignments including programming, design development, coordination, and production of construction documents
- Evaluate and integrate engineering systems and implement code, accessibility, and zoning analysis
- Evaluate alternatives to develop solutions while maintaining technical quality, code compliance, and design control
- Lead project consultant team to ensure an integrated approach and coordinate project requirements
- Be involved with coordinating contractors, consultants, and vendor assignments
- Prepare designs, working drawings, and specifications and coordinate cost estimates for projects
- Maintain records to document phases of the project
- Lead the work of other team members, providing mentorship and guidance
- Participate in marketing efforts, including presentations
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in the commercial and life-science architectural field, experience on large-scale projects a plus
- Project experience in the larger North-East market a must.
- Track record of production of accurate drawings and project deliverables on time
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree
- Licensure Required
- LEED Accredited or within 18 months of hire
- Revit proficient essential
- Ability to work within a highly collaborative team environment
- Strong verbal, listening, and written skills
- Advanced knowledge of built environment practices and methods
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work with integrity, trust, and commitment, setting an example for others
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to work as part of a team, ability to work well under pressure
- Proactive and independent approach to work and ownership of assigned tasks
The annual base pay range for this role is anticipated to be between $150,000 and $195,000. Actual compensation for successful candidates will be carefully determined based on a number of factors, including their skills, qualifications and experience.
Why choose NBBJ?
We believe that all NBBJ employees should love their work. This means not only loving what you do but having pride in your workplace. We strive to be that irresistible place to work by enhancing your employee experience with customized programs and comprehensive benefits. In addition to 100% covered employee healthcare costs and 401k contributions, we offer unique professional development opportunities, volunteer opportunities and access to leading technology and resources to further help you love your work and advance your career.
• NBBJ has been named three times by Fast Company as one of the most innovative architecture firms.
• Founded in 1943, our first office opened over 75 years ago in Seattle, Washington. We now have over 10 office locations around the globe.
• We are a transdisciplinary, cross-practice focused firm with a deep portfolio of Civic & Cultural, Commercial, Corporate, Healthcare, Higher Education, Science and Technology, Sports, and Urban Environment projects. We also have several areas of service expertise including: Architecture, Environmental Graphic Design, Interior Design, Lighting Design, Workplace Consulting and more.
• In the past decade, NBBJ has received more than 300 awards from leading global, national and regional award programs across the business, real estate and design communities.
• We work with 5 of the top global high-tech companies, 14 of the U.S. News and World Report Top Hospitals, and 4 of the top 10 highest-ranked learning institutions.
• Our clients include institutional leaders such as Cambridge University, Google, Samsung, Cleveland Clinic, Tencent, and Stanford University.
We are a collective of thinkers, makers and dreamers working to create positive impact through design. But we’re more than that—we’re also a firm made up of individuals, each with unique talents, ideas and contributions. This blend of togetherness and individuality makes us who we are. It’s also the basis for our values, which guide how we show up for each other and our clients:
• Stand for Optimism
We are united behind a calling to design a better future for our clients, society and planet.
• Lead with Curiosity
We never stop asking “what if?” and “why?”
• Commit to Sustainability
We wield extraordinary power—and have an obligation—to initiate environmental change.
• Design for All
We have a responsibility—through our process and work—to design with and for all.
• Own the Outcome
We are entrepreneurs of our destiny, focused on the success of each other and our clients.
• Grow our Legacy
We are part of a story bigger than ourselves.
NBBJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F Disabled and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
NBBJ does not accept unsolicited resumes or similar submissions from third party recruiters or employment agencies. Any unsolicited materials received by NBBJ from a source other than an individual candidate will be considered NBBJ property and NBBJ reserves the right to pursue and hire candidates referred to us without any financial obligation to the third party in question. If you are interested in becoming an approved NBBJ external recruiter, please contact a member of the NBBJ Talent Acquisition Team.