Senior Sustainable Materials Consultant
NBBJ is a design and architecture firm, fueled by ideas and a culture of collaboration. With offices around the globe, the diverse perspectives of your future colleagues and clients will inspire and challenge you to be extraordinary. Innovation and creativity are at the heart of our work: creating spaces and experiences that better connect people to each other as they live, learn, and work in their communities. We partner with pioneers like Amazon, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and Massachusetts General Hospital as we create solutions for tomorrow guided by our vision: we design for life. Are you interested in designing what’s next? Join us.
The role at a glance:
Our collective future needs to be built on a transformative vision for healthy, zero-carbon, resilient, and equitable buildings, and cities. At NBBJ, we bring creative solutions to our clients so they can see that future with us. NBBJ’s Design Performance team plays a critical role in bringing the best of the best to our clients and project teams as a hub of deep expertise that augments our talented pool of designers across our global studios. The materials that go into the built environment must play an essential role in this future beyond traditional functionality. This is an excellent opportunity for you to join our team as a Senior Sustainable Materials Consultant.
In this role you will bring a deep sustainable materials expertise and leadership to our team in all areas including carbon and environmental impact reduction, circularity, health impacts throughout the value chain, and justice implications of material choices. Our ideal candidate will be based in the Seattle area; however, we are open to candidates located in one of our other cities of operation.In your new role:
- Provide leadership within our team to bring together architectural and interior materials expertise and specification and accelerate a common sustainable direction for materials firmwide.
- Network and lead beyond the firm to continuously bring leading-edge thinking to our materials approach and influence the profession.
- Work with our team of in-house specifiers to align and advance standards for sustainable materials and to write project specifications.
- Work with our interior materials specialists to guide material selection criteria and develop internal library filters or standards for material attributes
- Work with our design performance analysts on Life Cycle Analysis and embodied carbon reduction for projects.
- Educate and train our design teams in sustainable materials – from circularity and justice in the supply chain, to human health and environmental impact, equipping them to be eloquent spokespeople for better material choices.
- Bring a design consulting mindset to working with clients and designers to create solutions that celebrate design and environmental health and communities.
- Lead our design teams and clients in understanding the why and the how of materials – selling the biggest and boldest concepts and equipping teams with the knowledge they need to represent our best aspirations if we are not in the room
- 5+ years of experience
- Deep expertise in sustainable materials, ideally with a specification background and experience in industry leadership
- Strong understanding of architecture and the design and construction process,
- Broad based knowledge of zero carbon and healthy building design strategies and solutions
- Demonstrated capability in consulting within AEC teams
- Client-facing communication and management skills
- Ability to coordinate a team of technical experts and deliver transformative, high-performance projects
- Deep expertise in building certifications and the ability to guide teams and clients to successful outcomes
- Experience building learning programs to equip design professionals with continuing education relevant for our vision
Why choose NBBJ?
We believe that all NBBJ employees should love their work. This means not only loving what you do but having pride in your workplace. We strive to be that irresistible place to work by enhancing your employee experience with customized programs and comprehensive benefits. In addition to 100% covered employee healthcare costs and 401k contributions, we offer unique professional development opportunities, volunteer opportunities and access to leading technology and resources to further help you love your work and advance your career.
• NBBJ has been named three times by Fast Company as one of the most innovative architecture firms.
• Founded in 1943, our first office opened over 75 years ago in Seattle, Washington. We now have over 10 office locations around the globe.
• We are a transdisciplinary, cross-practice focused firm with a deep portfolio of Civic & Cultural, Commercial, Corporate, Healthcare, Higher Education, Science and Technology, Sports, and Urban Environment projects. We also have several areas of service expertise including: Architecture, Environmental Graphic Design, Interior Design, Lighting Design, Workplace Consulting and more.
• In the past decade, NBBJ has received more than 300 awards from leading global, national and regional award programs across the business, real estate and design communities.
• We work with 5 of the top global high-tech companies, 14 of the U.S. News and World Report Top Hospitals, and 4 of the top 10 highest-ranked learning institutions.
• Our clients include institutional leaders such as Cambridge University, Google, Samsung, Cleveland Clinic, Tencent, and Stanford University.
We are a collective of thinkers, makers and dreamers working to create positive impact through design. But we’re more than that—we’re also a firm made up of individuals, each with unique talents, ideas and contributions. This blend of togetherness and individuality makes us who we are. It’s also the basis for our values, which guide how we show up for each other and our clients:
• Stand for Optimism
We are united behind a calling to design a better future for our clients, society and planet.
• Lead with Curiosity
We never stop asking “what if?” and “why?”
• Commit to Sustainability
We wield extraordinary power—and have an obligation—to initiate environmental change.
• Design for All
We have a responsibility—through our process and work—to design with and for all.
• Own the Outcome
We are entrepreneurs of our destiny, focused on the success of each other and our clients.
• Grow our Legacy
We are part of a story bigger than ourselves.
NBBJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F Disabled and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
NBBJ does not accept unsolicited resumes or similar submissions from third party recruiters or employment agencies. Any unsolicited materials received by NBBJ from a source other than an individual candidate will be considered NBBJ property and NBBJ reserves the right to pursue and hire candidates referred to us without any financial obligation to the third party in question. If you are interested in becoming an approved NBBJ external recruiter, please contact a member of the NBBJ Talent Acquisition Team.