Finance Officer - The Hague
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organisation powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In conflict, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
The Finance team plays a critical role in sustaining and enabling Mercy Corps Netherlands (MCNL) growth through the support it provides to Field Teams and HQ. All management accounting for MCNL grants is managed by the team, in addition to the financial accounting functions, payables, receivables, fixed asset reporting, uploading field ledgers, fundraising reconciliations, and banking and cash management.
Working with colleagues in Europe, US and Field Offices, the Finance Officer's responsibility is to enable prompt and accurate management accounting and donor reporting.
This is an opportunity to be involved in finance work that is fast-paced, and to be part of a diverse, dedicated team of people who are genuinely motivated by making a difference. You will be someone with a positive, can-do approach, who enjoys the pressure of working together as a team to tight deadlines. Strong communication skills are vital, as you will be operating in a truly international environment. Experience of accountancy packages software and strong Excel skills are key.
Essential Job Responsibilities
● HQ invoice and expense management
● MCNL team expense claims processing
● Banking & Cash management
● HQ management accounting duties
● Adhere to and develop policies, processes and procedures
● Update and management of IT systems, records and databases
● Interagency transactions monitoring and management
● Country offices cash management
● Review and upload of field ledger data and partner reporting
● Induction and on-going training to staff on all aspects of purchasing and finance processes and procedures
● Support the audit process as required
● Manage the filing systems - electronic and hard copy
● As part of the department’s commitment to continuous improvement, the Finance Officer should be proactive and lead on ad hoc HQ projects aimed at streamlining processes or increasing efficiency.
● Any other duties as assigned.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
● Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
● As part of our commitment to organisational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organisations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
● Ideally part-qualified in accounting or with a degree in a related field, with around 3+ yrs of experience in a busy finance department.
● Experience of computerised accountancy packages and windows software.
● Proficiency with MS Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) - strong Excel skills key.
● Experience in SUN systems an advantage, though not a necessity.
● Fluent in Dutch and Excellent spoken and written English.
● Some experience of working in or with an NGO would be preferable.
● Excellent organisational and time management skills.
● Systematic, with a strong eye for detail.
● Can work quickly, accurately and to deadlines.
● Able to build and maintain effective internal and external relationships.
● Strong team worker and communicator.
● Able to cope with changing priorities, often at short notice, and work well under pressure.
● Proactive and solutions-based attitude.
● High levels of motivation, professionalism and resilience.
● An exposure to and interest in international development issues is important, along with an empathy for MC's mission.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position will be based in The Hague, Netherlands.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a short term assignment to the field. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country locations.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Candidates must have the right to work in the Netherlands at the time of appointment.