Consultant - Digital Market Analysis - Tajikistan
Project Location: Dushanbe, Tajikistan
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps works to empower vulnerable communities in Tajikistan to become healthy, productive and resilient. Towards this goal we work on economic growth, youth and migration, health and WASH, and climate change and DRR. Under the Youth and Migration pillar, Mercy Corps Tajikistan Country Strategy 2018-2023 aims at empowering young people to cope with economic and political stresses and positively contribute to their communities through improving public services supporting migration and employment, strengthening market driven technical, employment and entrepreneurship training, and catalyzing market to fill the gaps. To this end, Mercy Corps Tajikistan partnered with UNICEF to develop and implement impact sourcing model for Tajik youth and adolescents not in employment, education or training (NEET). Impact sourcing is an inclusive employment practice through which companies in global supply chains intentionally hire and provide career development opportunities to people who otherwise would have limited prospects for formal employment. UNICEF conducted a Feasibility Assessment of impact sourcing model in Tajikistan that indicates that “in spite of the relatively low ICT skills among adolescents and youth in Tajikistan, the country has the right business environment for introducing Impact Sourcing as a solution for youth employment”. Building on the findings of the Feasibility Assessment UNICEF partnered with the Ministry of Labor, Migration and Employment of Population (MoLME) to pilot Impact Hub, youth-friendly space that will provide training on digital skills, job placement advice and work place for NEET youth to engage in micro-work and other digital jobs.
Purpose / Project Description:
Mercy Corps Tajikistan would like to conduct the market analysis that will generate evidence on the supply and demand for microwork and other digital jobs in Tajikistan; for local, regional Russian-speaking, and the global non-Russian speaking businesses. The market analysis will build on recommendations of the UNICEF Feasibility Assessment Report and focus on the review and analysis of existing data and studies. Mercy Corps Tajikistan will also engage the national consultant to map the stakeholders in digital sector in Tajikistan and Central Asia who will contribute to the market analysis. The findings will inform Mercy Corps Tajikistan’s programming to support micro-work and potentially the project design, selection of digital skills in demand, and design of training modules for new programming.
Review existing data and studies and gather additional data to understand microwork demand and where that demand is being fulfilled, specific to identifying and documenting the potential for servicing that demand in Tajikistan. Provide recommendations on feasibility for supporting that including the selection of relevant digital skills and the design of training modules tailored to the needs of NEET youth and adolescents in Tajikistan.
The Consultant will:
- Review and analyze available statistics, studies, and research on relevant topics for the demand for micro-work from the Tajikistan, regional Russian speaking and the global non-Russian speaking markets, and the capacity to meet that demand in Tajikistan.
- Review similar micro-work and impact sourcing programs implemented by the private sector, government and non-governmental organizations in Tajikistan and Central Asia region
- Coordinate with Mercy Corps and UNICEF teams and consultants to define technical requirements of market analysis and structure of the report
- Work with a national consultant to map the stakeholders in digital sector in Tajikistan and Central Asia
- Work with a national consultant to incorporate the findings from focus group discussions with NEET youth and adolescents on barriers accessing employment including digital opportunities
- Complete a desk review including statistics, main findings, best practices, and opportunities for Tajikistan NEET youth employment in digital markets
- Prepare deliverables as outlined below.
- Identify specific digital skills and training modules for the project and Impact Hub based on market opportunities.
The Consultant will provide the following in English:
- A work plan for the engagement, including proposed timelines for the activities listed above, and regular updates on the status of the consultant’s work as requested.
- Background research summary, outlining top-line findings from the desk review, for review and input by Mercy Corps.
- A final written report on the findings and recommendations
Timeframe / Schedule:
The anticipated length of this consultancy is approximately 12 days beginning in November 2019, and completing in December 2019. A final timeline and work plan will be developed in consultation with Mercy Corps at the beginning of the consultancy to establish deadlines.
The Consultant will report to:
Mercy Corps Country Director, Tajikistan
The Consultant will work closely with:
Mercy Corps and UNICEF program teams and technical experts
Required Experience & Skills:
- University degree in the relevant field, e.g. Social Sciences, Business Administration, Economics or Education
- At least 5-8 years of relevant work experience in the area of market development, digital markets, and/or digital skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of impact sourcing and micro-work
- Past experience working with international development partners and organizations
- Excellent analytical skill and report writing skills
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Russian is an asset
- Proactive communication and problem-solving skills