Consultant - Climate Smart Agriculture Design Guideline Development - Remote
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Operating in Myanmar since 2008, Mercy Corps works to build responsive governance, inclusive economic development, and equal rights that support peace and prosperity. Mercy Corps currently works in five States and six Regions in Myanmar, connecting market development, financial inclusion, disaster risk management and climate change resilience, and governance through a facilitative partnership approach.
Mercy Corps is a partner on a USAID-funded and PACT-led Advancing Community Empowerment in Southeastern Myanmar (ACE) project. The project empowers communities by reducing vulnerabilities, promoting community participation in decision making, and strengthening mechanisms for more responsive and accountable local governance. Mercy Corps leads interventions on peacebuilding and reconciliation, market-driven livelihoods and private sector engagement, and disaster risk management.
Purpose / Project Description:
Through ACE, Mercy Corps engages with the private sector actors, such as input suppliers, agricultural buyers, agri-tech companies, and machinery service providers to deliver tailored agricultural and market facilitation services to farmers. Those services were designed based on the opportunities and constraints identified during the participatory community-level market assessment in Y2 of the program.
Since climate change multiplies the challenges of achieving the needed growth and improvements in agricultural systems; building resilience and adapting to climate change are imperative. In order to build the capacity of private sector companies to promote climate change resilience, Mercy Corps will develop a curriculum or guidelines for climate smart design for private sector actors engaged in agriculture. The guidelines will focus on the targeted value chain crops of Paddy, Maize, Sesame, and Vegetables in the project areas. Mercy Corps will use the guidelines to provide capacity strengthening to the partnered private sector companies. Therefore, we are looking for a consultant or expert with expertise to develop those guidelines.
The Consultant will:
- Conduct a preliminary review of existing and relevant learning materials related to climate smart agriculture both locally or internationally
- Conduct rapid need assessment with the MC partnered private sector actors
- Gather inputs and insights from Mercy Corps, consortium partners and other relevant development agencies and organizations
- Conduct a curriculum design and planning workshop with relevant stakeholders
- Deliver a written CSA curriculum which is generally relevant to Myanmar Context, but with specific guidelines on climate-related challenges in Southeastern Myanmar.
- Ensure that environmental conservation, mitigation and monitoring action will be integrated in the guidelines/curriculum for long term sustainability
- Present the products to Mercy Corps, consortium partners and private sector partners.
Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, the consultant has to be able to deliver activities remotely.
- Proposed structure of the guidelines
- CSA curriculum (in English) which is generally relevant to Myanmar Context and more specific instruction for Southeastern Myanmar (as per the agreed structure)
- Remote orientation/training to MC, ACE consortium partners and private sector companies on the curriculum
- Debrief presentation to ACE Management
Timeframe / Schedule:
The service and guidelines are expected to be completed before the Mid of August, 2021. Consultant needs to propose a consultancy work plan.
The Consultant will report to:
The Consultant will work closely with:
Other relevant team members, TSU
Required Experience & Skills:
- 5-10 years experience in a relevant technical field
- Able to work remotely
- Relevant experience and expertise
- Strong preference given to candidates with prior experience or ability to demonstrate
- understanding of Southeastern Myanmar context
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver quality products under tight deadlines
- Ability to work as part of diverse teams and facilitate training planning and processes
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- English language skills
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.