Regional Registered Nurse (Part-Time) - IDEA Greater Houston (Immediate Opening)
About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 53,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Houston (2020), Permian Basin (2020), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
IDEA Greater Houston Areawas announced in 2017 and we are preparing for a rapid expansion plan. Houston is known for being one of the most diverse cities in America, yet children of color and children living in poverty continue to lack access to the highest quality schools. We are the fourth largest city, with more than 51 independent public school districts and the home base for two fantastic public charter school operators, Yes Prep and KIPP Texas-Houston.
Houston’s reputation is based on economic opportunity and affordable living with a massive sprawl that exceeds the size of New Hampshire. Despite the presence of great public charter schools and a strong district magnet schools system, the need for more great schools is ever present. IDEA Greater Houston Area will help solve the challenge to offer more children a choice-filled life through a transformational public education.
Fully cognizant of the need across the Greater Houston Area, IDEA Public Schools will launch with a commitment to open our first four schools in 2020 and follow with an ambitious growth plan to grow to 20 schools by 2025-26 and ultimately serve 15,000 students once fully enrolled.
Role Mission: The Regional Registered Nurse (RN) at IDEA Public Schools is responsible for the health and wellness of all students at assigned campuses and provides technical supervision and guidance to campus health aides in the region. Regional RN will visit portfolio campuses on a rotation schedule to provide ongoing support. The Regional RN works as part of the Health and Wellness Department and reports to the Director.
100% of Health Services provided to students in a timely and consistent manner
- Ensure high-quality care provided in clinics by utilizing professional triage skills, basic care, and established school health protocols.
- Assess student needs and make appropriate referrals working with students, teachers, parents, and medical and health care professionals, as needed, including implementation of Individual Education Plan (IEP) items.
- Participate in health-related school committees such as Healthy Kids Here, focused on student health and wellness.
- Communicate regularly with the Assistant Principal of Operations, regional health services manager, HQ Health and Wellness staff, school counselor, teachers, parents, food services staff, and other staff regarding health services issues
- Partner with Health Aide and Assistant Principal of Operations to implement practices to keep students healthy and able to attend school including, but not limited to:
- Encourage handwashing on the campus by providing signage and training.
- Disseminate videos to teachers on healthy eating and healthy habits they can watch during breakfast in the classroom.
- Ensure cleaning occurs after an infectious student has been identified.
- On-site flu vaccinations
100% required for students screened with findings resolved
- Maintain screening certification with Health Department (Vision/Hearing/Spinal).
- Register with Border Health for Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) log-in to website and certification.
- Develop plans and identify resources to help students and families resolve all screening findings (ex. finding of vision impairment, resolution = connecting student with eyeglass providers and voucher for payment).
- Assist with all required screenings for Vision, Hearing, Spinal, Acanthosis.
100% of students have all state required immunizations within 30 days of the first day of school (9/18/20) and kept current through the LDOS with 100% of seniors having MCV4 vaccine by May 14, 2021.
- Collect, review and enter immunization records. Ensure records are compliant within first 30 days of school and remain compliant throughout the school year.
- Educate parents on the importance of vaccines, with the only unvaccinated students being those who have legal exemptions.
- Manage all vaccination record keeping and auditing.
- Schedule and run on-site vaccination clinics.
100% of administrative work is fully operational by the first day of school, and continues to be so throughout the year
- Clinic equipment and supplies in working condition in the clinic and requests made for supplies and equipment needed to maintain clinic inventory.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and electronic reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic visits, student action plans, doctor’s orders, etc.
- AED and Stop the Bleed kits installed and functional in hallway.
- Rapid Response Team identified and trained.
- ImmTrac / Health Office Anywhere/ Border Health log in set up.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy in health services area.
- Report potential health and safety hazards to the campus Assistant Principal of Operations.
- Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
85% retention of Health Services staff in region
- Schedule campus visits to work with each Health Aide at least twice a month
- Develop a relationship of trust and confidence with each Health Aide in region, helping them understand their roles and responsibilities
- Develop relationships with campus and regional leadership to support Health Services goals and operations
- Provide technical support and training, as needed
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
IDEA COVID Response
- Work with Human Resource Department to facilitate COVID response for both staff and students
- Report COVID cases to local and state health departments
- Assist with coordination of campus leadership, impacted staff and student communication
- Educate Health Aides and campus staff on COVID Strong Start Health and Safety Protocols
- Facilitate training and on-campus support of COVID testing
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Experience: 5+ years of nursing experience required; school-based experience preferred
- Experience: adult education/training experience preferred
- Licenses or Certifications: Registered Nurse licensure
- Required: Willingness to travel 3-4 days per week across three campuses:
- Current campuses: IDEA Hardy, IDEA Spears- 21-22 new campus: IDEA Lake Houston
- Starting salary is commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment. For more information about our total rewards, visit our benefits page. This position is part-time position and compensation will reflect this.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.