Senior Specialist, Foundation Relations
Job ID 135
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
This position actively engages with small to mid-level range foundations. This position will focus on discovering and cultivating new relationships with small to mid-level range foundations in support of Heifer International’s global programs and mission goals. The position will also focus on stewarding relationships, including maintaining all compliance reporting, with existing small to mid-level foundation donors. The position will also set appointments for the Vice President of Philanthropy and will collaborate with other resource development teams as well as domestic and international programs colleagues, finance and accounting team members and other departments within Heifer International whenever possible to ensure excellent donor relations.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Collaborative, organized, service-oriented, energetic, personable, and detailed.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
Manage a robust portfolio of current and prospective foundation funders holding less than $10M in endowment (tier 3 foundations), conducting stewardship and cultivation activities that build, maintain, and strengthen relationships. (65%)
- Maintain a portfolio of approximately 300 tier 3 private foundation donors and prospects holding less than $10M in assets.
- Thoughtfully draft and aggressively execute successful cultivation strategies for every single qualified donor and prospect contained in the portfolio, including personalized communication strategies and occasional donor visits and presentations.
- Thoughtfully draft and enthusiastically execute successful single- and multi-year stewardship plans for continued cultivation of every portfolio donor.
- Write and process special correspondence with appropriate personalization including stewardship, cultivation and solicitation letters, as well as special acknowledgments to portfolio donors.
- Establish a set annual revenue goal to be determined in coordination with the Vice President of Philanthropy
- Ensure the Foundation Library and all BBEC documentation is up to date and accessible to other departments.
- Continuously conduct research and analysis of existing and potential funders to refine portfolio to its maximum efficiency.
- Utilize creative and entrepreneurial approaches to discover and qualify 25 new tier 3 private foundation prospects per year.
- Successfully cultivate new tier 3 foundation prospects to continuously maintain a portfolio of 300 donors and prospects.
- Utilize the moves management system to promote and track donor development in collaboration with Philanthropy and other resource mobilization teams.
- Collaborate with headquarters staff, major gift officers and corporate foundation relation officers to ensure a seamless transition of donors and prospects as necessary to promote priority fundraising objectives
- Write applications for foundation donors ranging from $1000 to $25,000 (guideline only – amounts may vary).
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Philanthropy, and Sr. Director of Foundation Relations, design and implement overall Private Foundation Relations strategic plan to grow revenue from tier 3 foundation funders by 30% over the next 5 years.
- In collaboration with all Philanthropy Team members design and implement overall Philanthropy strategic plan to grow revenue from the Philanthropy team by 150% over the next 5 years.
- Create and maintain systems that promote good working relationships with domestic and international program staff to ensure clear and timely communication for grant proposal development and/or reporting requirements.
- In collaboration with programs teams, monitor grant awards, including grant agreements, reporting and compliance requirements for every grant contained in Specialist’s portfolio with the goal of adhering to donor compliance timelines with 100% accuracy.
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments in Marketing and Resource Development Division and Heifer Foundation to advance the private foundation relations strategic plan and increase contributions of foundation donors.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field plus four (4) years of related experience.
- Five (5) years’ work experience in fundraising, project and/or marketing management.
- Superior writing and editing skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Proven fundraising and donor relational skills, including donor development.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to build relationships with donors.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Skilled with word processing, spreadsheet, and database software (Microsoft Office Suite preferred).
- Adherence to ethical fundraising practices as outlined in the Association of Fundraising Professionals Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice.
- Strong listening skills.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate sensitive information appropriately to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work with diverse staff, including multiple cultures and beliefs.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to relate to and influence individuals and groups diplomatically and tactfully.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues, donors and the general public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely on the telephone and to deal with complaints politely and effectively.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 10% of the time.
- Ability to prepare and present presentations, reports, and business correspondence in the prescribed format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds (9 kilograms) floor to waist.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.