Project Coordinator - SSID
Job ID 390
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Under the guidance of the Program’s Director – Heifer Uganda the Project Coordinator Solar for Sustainable Incomes in Dairy (SSID), the Project Coordinator contributes to the effective and efficient implementation of the SSID project. The coordinator will provide technical support to partners in structuring, developing, and delivering investments for solar solutions in the target areas. S/he is responsible for design and demonstrate innovative, efficient, cost effective solar energy solutions and promote productive energy use. He will provide technical expertise to all activities relating to the power sizing, design, installation, monitoring and engagement with all actors including producer organizations, solar service providers, financial service providers. The main purpose is to increase POs access to solar leases, create business efficiencies and improve operating margins and profitability. The end goal is to increase income growth for all actors in the dairy value chain closing business inefficiencies and improve profitability.
This role includes overseeing all project activities; producing related reports on project progress; supervising; monitoring project budget and coordinating with key project partners. S/he will also be responsible for preparing and maintaining annual/quarterly plans and budgets, as well as developing the appropriate monitoring and evaluation framework to ensure that all outcomes are achieved.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Energetic, positive, team player, result orientated, quality orientated, collaborative, leadership, pragmatic, and inspirational.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLESA. Program Effectiveness (50%).
- Accountable for planning, managing, monitoring, and evaluating the project in an effective, efficient and timely manner.
- Ensure that the Producer Organization (POs) have adequate knowledge, information on renewable energy and solar-powered chilling plants.
- Support the Solar service providers to design and roll out training, monitoring and management of solar facilities to achieve expected efficiency levels.
- Explore, develop and document and pursue opportunities to scale up and replication of the of the technology with more POs, service providers and financial institutions.
- Coordinate procurement and construction/installation of solar facilities in partnership with service providers and POs.
- POs are sensitized and trained to appreciate the understanding of renewables and productive energy use.
- Feasibility and appraisal systems conducted for POs to prepare for sizing and installations incl. technical and economic feasibility, environmental and health impacts, security, and risks, following the established and approved criteria.
- Support the reviews of the Bids received, draw up a set of technical specifications that prospective solicitation service providers will need to meet. It is expected that providers will provide a complete package consisting of the necessary equipment, finance, training, maintenance, and repair services.
- Ensure that the proposed technology provider package fits the financing package is optimally matched to the needs of the POs
- Work alongside the Program Director and Impact Investment and Heifer Impact Investment Area Manager the necessary technical support to sourcing and engagement of solar energy service providers and potential financiers.
- Actions designed and facilitated to build local capacity for sustainable operation and management of solar facilities to promote productive uses of energy and linking with service providers with POs.
- Strategically leverage the private sector, government and cooperative federations periodically to create avenues for scalability.
- Working closely with the Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) Manager; and ADAP MLE Coordinator to create, execute and monitor action plans & PO databases with a view of the POs to use the data for tracking milk volumes, sales, energy costs, PO business turnover, farmer and PO profitability.
- Submit timely reports to the Program Director
- Ensure periodic project reviews are conducted, with learnings documented and shared.
- Supervise expenditure control within the budgets routinely.
- Ensure that contractual obligations are in compliance with donors point of engagement
- Manage risks and issues; correct deviations from plans; and perform delivery planning for the SSID project
- Review and coordinate the compilation of weekly, monthly, quarterly reports and ensure that a robust MLE system is maintained at the Project level to track productivity and use of solar facilities
- Achieve above 90% compliance on project performance and targets.
- Identify, profile and engagement potential private and public sector partners to scale up the financing and use of solar energy in dairy.
- Work with project partners to engage with relevant national authorities on addressing the policy, legislation and regulation issues surrounding the development of renewable energy in the dairy sector
- Develop and create initiatives to nurture and build linkages between solar energy service providers, financial institutions and POs and other development players.
- Represent Heifer in various local stakeholder meetings, workshops, conferences and shared learning events. Key partners profiled and engaged to develop solar energy ecosystem to stimulating and scaling up the business model
- Develop and implement plans for multi-stakeholders’ forums, engagements and learnings.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with financial institutions, solar service providers and POs for scaling up the model
- Take lead in development of business cases for the financing of additional solar facilities
- Networking with energy stakeholders, participate in external events promoting the use of renewable energy in Uganda
- Provide technical input for resource mobilization for Energy integration in Heifer Uganda program.
- Any other job-related task assigned by the line manager.
- University degree in environmental engineering and/or electrical engineering with at least 5 years of experience at the national or international level in designing/specifying/installing solar energy supply systems for commercial use.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Have at least five years of practical working experience with NGOs and private sector involvement in renewable energy
- living in isolated areas
- Advance technical knowledge and networking with energy stakeholders
- Profound technical knowledge on renewable energy technologies and practical experience in implementing (renewable) energy projects is required.
- Deeper knowledge of the solar energy for commercial/ industrial use is required.
- Experience in conducting energy audits is considered an asset.
- Having a business approach to energy and agro-processing. Should be able to write business cases.
- Computer literacy, including facility with Word, Excel, and other relevant Microsoft Office Suite applications, as well as any other databases.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills with ability to relate to individuals and groups diplomatically and tactfully.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of farming communities particularly dairy farmers.
- Working in a multi-cultural setting and commitment to promoting teamwork, gender equality, and sensitivity to poverty issues.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure in response to changing needs and ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, occasionally on short notice.
- Sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude with the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and in sometimes difficult circumstances.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.