Senior Publicist, Basic Books and Seal Press
Basic Books is a leading publisher of serious, scholarly nonfiction aimed at a wide audience of general readers, and it is an imprint of Perseus Books, a Hachette Book Group company. Basic’s Seal Press imprint publishes radical and groundbreaking feminist nonfiction books that help readers to see the world in a new light.
Basic Books and Seal Press is seeking a highly motivated, creative Senior Publicist to join our close-knit publicity team in securing media attention for our books and authors. Our ideal candidate is enthusiastic about promoting nonfiction titles and is ready to create and execute successful campaigns.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Secure reviews, author interviews, and features, for assigned titles in both national and regional/local media
- Build and maintain relationships with media and event venue contacts nationwide
- Arrange author events with bookstore and non-bookstore venues; coordinate travel for touring authors, as necessary
- Create dynamic press materials and targeted email pitches
- Collaborate and maintain relationships with authors on publicity campaigns
- Partner with Marketing department to ensure that publicity plans are consistent with overall marketing strategy for the book
- Communicate with Editorial, Marketing, Sales, and Subrights as part of a cohesive publicity effort for each title
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 4+ years prior publicity or public relations experience.
- Broad knowledge or interest in serious, scholarly nonfiction subject areas.
- Knowledge or experience working with a wide variety of local and national media.
- Existing contacts among print, broadcast and online media contacts, or demonstrated ability to develop such contacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; poise and confidence in communicating with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills: ability to multi-task, prioritize, manage time effectively, and work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation for this position is $60,000 - $65,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.