Publishing Associate, Paperback and Backlist
Little, Brown and Company is seeking a Publishing Associate to provide editorial and marketing support across the division’s paperbacks and ebooks. A successful candidate will be an innovative, out-of-the-box thinker who strives for design excellence and enjoys challenges. The position will be based in the NY office with a hybrid office/work from home schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide editorial support for Little, Brown’s entire list of paperbacks and ebooks, both frontlist and backlist, encompassing a wide range of genres (from self-help to literary fiction, from business/economics to poetry, from narrative history to humor); participate in creating and implementing marketing plans
- Draft, edit, and maintain cover briefs, fact sheets, catalog copy, and other descriptive metadata
- Coordinate paperback transmittals to managing editorial, including review of front-matter quotes, forewords/afterwords, text corrections, and reading group guides
- Communicate with colleagues in departments throughout HBG—editorial, managing editorial, production, sales, contracts, etc.—about the status of LB&Co’s paperback and ebook publishing projects
- Identify opportunities, and generate supporting sales/inventory analyses, for backlist promotions and repackaging projects, including media tie-ins
- Identify candidates for reduced-price ebook promotions
- Create and maintain LB&Co’s backlist catalogs in Edelweiss
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 2-3 years relevant book publishing experience, especially in editorial or marketing, required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to prioritize, multi-task, manage projects, and meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Creative and strategic thinker, with appetite for rising to challenges
- Open-minded, collaborative, with strong negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Self-starter with ability to follow through and execute efficiently
- Passion for books and publishing
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your roll or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.