Hachette Speakers Bureau (HSB) Director
Seeking a Hachette Speakers Bureau (HSB) Director to help launch and run the bureau as an in-house venture for Hachette Book Group’s many prominent authors and experts.
Responsibilities include cultivation and development of long-term client relationships; fierce advocacy for bureau’s speakers and authors; booking and managing paid events for HBG authors across all publishing groups; and collaboration with Publishing and Sales team members on operational functions.
The ideal candidate should have strong sales, negotiation and communication skills and be adept at strategizing, pitching, and booking paid speaking engagements.
A background in working with talent, event planning, publicity, or trade publishing is required.
- Plan and execute launch of HSB as an in-house venture
- Build partnerships with stakeholders to increase exposure in-house and externally
- Educate colleagues on value proposition of bureau through internal communications
- Foster relationships with event clients to secure paid and repeating speaking opportunities
- Negotiate, book, and manage paid speaking engagements for HSB authors
- Oversee all aspects of HSB events including contract negotiations, logistical support, proactive outreach, and media opportunities
- Cultivate relationships and interact daily with HSB authors, agents, and venue representatives
- Track metrics for HSB activity including bookings and book sales
- Oversee HSB’s website and social media to connect HSB authors with audiences
- Write copy for website, pitches, marketing materials, and targeted outreach
- Act as company representative at conferences, industry events, and appearances
- Manage the HSB assistant
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Successful track record in sales, account management, event marketing, or publicity
- Proven ability to generate creative angles and pitches
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to create and maintain client relationships
- Strong communicator with excellent writing and presentation skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, able to seamlessly manage multiple campaigns
- Minimum of eight years in a speakers bureau agency, sales, publicity, or marketing
- Experience working with customer relationship management databases
- Knowledge of Google for Work, Word, Excel, and WordPress platforms
- Basic knowledge of HTML a plus
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent