Summer 2020 Audio Intern
Hachette Book Group offers paid summer internships to students and recent graduates interested in a career in book publishing. Our summer internship program, which runs from June 1st – August 7th and allows interns to work 28 hours per week, offers students an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and explore an area of interest.
As an HBG Audio Intern, you will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned professionals and gain hands-on professional experience as you own day-to-day tasks, help with special projects, and attend departmental meetings.
To enhance your work experience, we offer educational sessions featuring speakers from all departments of the company as well as networking and career development opportunities.
Who you are:
- College juniors and seniors who are candidates for a B.S. or B.A. degree
- Majors preferred: English, Creative Writing, Communications, Media, Public Relations, Marketing, or related course of study
- Effective communication skills (oral & written), sound grammar and editing ability, good judgment, and excellent interpersonal skills
- Must have a keen attention to detail in a deadline-driven environment with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and pick up new programs quickly
- Strong administrative, follow up, and organizational skills a must
- Interest in audiobooks is a plus
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite tools including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- Pro Tools and InDesign experience is a plus
What you will learn:
The Audio Intern benefits from receiving a wide swath of responsibilities from throughout the department's functions. From Publicity to Sales, our Interns learn a great deal holistically about the business of publishing in general and audiobook publishing in specific. The internship will be tailored to a certain extent to the interests and strengths of the candidate, but projects throughout the summer will touch on the following:
- Marketing and Publicity Initiatives: Intern may help with various campaigns, pitches, sales materials, and account presentations. Assist in monthly mailings to reviewers, outreach to bloggers interested in audiobooks, keeping databases and social media assets updated as needed.
- Operations: Digital Asset Management maintenance/reporting; Assigning ISBNs as needed
- Sales Analysis: study trends in audio (digital and physical) and large print channels. Return sales report data as needed. Act as support for the SVP's Large Print imprint, which is also run out of the Audio department.
- Art & Design: Check on Rights Clearance, assist in packaging trafficking; and if candidate has design experience, potential web advertising/promotions.
- Production: Archive masters, meet and greet talent, craft services and assist with web clips and admin responsibilities. • Key skills required: Detail-oriented self-starter who can pick up new programs and skills quickly. Interest in audiobooks a major plus! • MS Office proficient a must. • Pro Tools, InDesign and PowerPoint a plus.
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume and cover letter.