Publicist, Laurence King Publishers
Hachette Book Group is looking for an energetic, organized, and passionate publicist to join the team working the Laurence King division. The publicist will report to the Director of Sales, Marketing and Publicity; they will coordinate publicity campaigns for roughly 80 titles/year across Laurence King lists, from planning to implementation.
Working closely alongside the New York, London, and San Francisco based Marketing and Publicity team, the US Publicist proactively implements and manages publicity campaigns for Laurence King Publishing - both front and backlist. Working on PR campaigns for books, gifts, and authors across a range of subject areas, with a particular (but not exclusive) focus on the Art and Photography list, the Publicist should ensure a wide range of media coverage (including print, online and broadcast) is achieved.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with the New York, London and San Francisco based Marketing and Publicity team to ensure that all UK/US campaigns are aligned
- Generate US publicity opportunities for LKP titles by executing campaigns to US print, online and broadcast media; Create targeted publicity campaigns for titles across list
- Produce press releases and pitches in Adobe to fit LKP’s brand as an illustrated art publisher
- Act as the primary contact for a selection of US-based Laurence King titles
- Work with authors and the Sales and Marketing team to identify general marketing and promotional opportunities, such as videos, mailings and events
- Orchestrate author events in the US, attend NY-based Author Events as needed
- Provide press with necessary materials, such as images, information and text, for coverage
- Pivot to capitalize on trends for backlist titles
- Craft holiday gift guide pitching and seasonal pitches (Mother’s Day, Christmas, Valentine’s, Graduation, etc)
- Provide attentive author care and quick responses to Laurence King authors, foster media relationships and provide quick response to National Press
- Use MuckRack to build and maintain media lists, research potential press contacts and outlets for campaigns
- Coordinate with the UK Digital Marketing Manager to create and execute social media posts that highlight LKP’s authors, books, gifts, unique illustrations and imagery
- Submit all books for LKP and BIS to US trade publications (e.g. Publishers Weekly, Booklist, Kirkus)
- Send biweekly US publicity and marketing report to relevant teams
- Track and manage all press hits for the US market
- Manage and update influencer contacts lists
- Attend gift and trade shows shows, as needed
- Handle mailings and advances from the New York office, including desk copies for student titles
- Main point of contact in the US for BIS titles
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- The ideal candidate will have minimum two-years experience in publicity
- Interest in book publishing is essential, passion for Art, Design, and Photography titles is a plus
- Knowledge of, and contacts within, Art and Design media is essential
- Experience pitching gift and trade titles
- Experience with all facets of a national publicity campaign from book acquisition announcements to securing national media interviews to conducting national tours
- Experience booking top-line media in both traditional and digital outlets and author tours
- A proven ability to generate creative angles and pitches
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects across teams at once.
- Self-motivated, hands-on, creative individual with exceptional oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Strong initiative and judgment. Results-oriented and able to work well independently as well as in collaboratively or with a team.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency with multiple social media platforms and management tools
- Familiarity with design platforms such as Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
- Must be results driven and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed.
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
- Should demonstrate compassion, empathy, and ethical behavior in interactions with employees and the world at large. Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.