Summer 2023 Perseus Subrights Intern
Hachette Book Group’s summer internship program offers students an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and explore an area of interest. To learn more about the company, visit our career site: https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/about/careers/
Program dates: June 5th – August 11th (10 weeks)
Location: This position will be fully remote. Company laptop will be provided for the duration of the program.
Weekly schedule: 28 hours per week, Monday-Thursday, 9:00am-5:00pm
Pay rate: $15/hour
Are you interested in world cultures and selling into different countries? As an HBG Subrights Intern, you will assist rights staff in the Perseus Books division. The rights department is made up of domestic and international subsidiary rights and we are responsible for managing and selling the rights granted to the publisher by the author. These include, but are not limited to: foreign translation, book club, film/TV, audio, reprints, digital licensing, and permissions. You will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned professionals and gain hands-on professional experience as you own day-to-day tasks and help with special projects.
To enhance your work experience, we offer educational sessions featuring speakers from all departments of the company as well as networking and career development opportunities.
Who you are:
- Interested in exploring a career in book publishing
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic and excited about discussing recent books you’ve read
- Possess a great attitude and a desire to learn as well as excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and contribute insights
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
What you will learn:
- Create pitch materials for book fairs.
- Assist with production requests.
- Undertake research projects in subsidiary rights.
- Create and send submission materials, manage and update databases.
- Mail author copies of translated editions.
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume AND cover letter.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.