Performance Engineer in Product Development
Do you thrive on autonomy and pushing the boundaries of what you can accomplish? Do you like to experiment with new ways to solve complex problems? At Elastic Path we encourage a culture of invention, empower our people to Be Remarkable and operate in a real-time learning environment.
Who is Elastic Path?
Elastic Path develops the world’s most sophisticated API-based enterprise commerce platform. The company’s flagship product, Elastic Path Commerce, has helped the world’s biggest brands generate $45 billion in over 170 countries. Customers from industries as diverse as travel, telecoms, publishing, software and retail enjoy the benefits of a flexible, open architecture that drives brand-defining customer experiences.
A grown-up start-up
Founded in 2000, Elastic Path is proud to have some very prominent enterprise customers and partners. We have a very lean and flat organization that enables people to do their jobs with full autonomy and the support of a small and approachable executive team.
With breath taking views from our headquarters in beautiful downtown Vancouver, our open office concept encourages conversation & collaboration. Offering a flexible work environment that fits with your lifestyle, no one is more than just a Slack away.
What to expect as Elastic Path’s Performance Engineer?
At Elastic Path, Performance Engineers work in a very dynamic environment where energy and ideas are always valued. You will NOT be another brick in the wall.
We are a collaborative team of release, cloud, and performance engineers within the larger product development team. As a part of the team, you will be exposed to all aspects of the technology and infrastructure stack that have an impact on system performance. You will have an opportunity to improve performance and scalability by influencing application design and architecture.
Once you join our team, you will be accountable for achieving realistic yet challenging goals:
- Ensure overall performance, reliability, and scalability for our product as demand and customer size grows
- Design and implement performance test plans and test cases for new and existing functionality in a variety of load testing tools; this includes contributing to our automation framework that continuously executes our performance tests.
- Analyze test results and make tactical and strategic recommendations to improve performance and scalability via architecture, infrastructure, and software designs
- Drill down into the root cause of performance issues using a combination of low-level investigative tools such as thread dumps, heap dumps, and GC logs and investigate SAAS performance issues using higher-level APM tooling.
- Create capacity planning, sizing, and customer costing guides to better educate our customers of the hardware needs for specific deployments.
- Assist with tier 3 support on production performance issues.
What personality traits will allow you to excel in this position?
- You are an effective team player, who is an integral part of our Performance Engineering team, however, you also can work independently with a “can-do” attitude.
- You are a self-starter who can survey the state of performance testing and then help bring it to the next level
- You are smart, very talented and like working with smart and talented people.
- You think of simple answers to complex problems.
- You are a performance testing advocate and know that performance testing is critical to any successful software project.
- You are someone who enjoys stress testing a system to its knees and see it fall over. Then find out why.
- You are detail oriented and an excellent problem solver, technical analyst, troubleshooter and debugger
- You are a full stack kind of person. You appreciate a client’s request from mouse-click to hard disk access.
- You thrive in an environment of constant change and are excited to learn about new technologies and tools and how performance investigation techniques and performance best practices can be applied to these technologies.
What skills do you need to Be Remarkable in this position?
- A computer science degree or equivalent education experience
- 3-5 years of performance engineering experience
- 2-3 years of Java programming experience
- Extensive experience with performance test planning, execution, and reporting
- Ability to find root cause of performance issue using thread dumps, heap dumps, GC logs, and other monitoring and debugging tools
- Experience with the following technologies:
- Java and the JVM
- Programming Languages: Java, Python, Bash, SQL, JSON, Yaml
- Apache JMeter or similar load testing tools
- Monitoring tools like Cloudwatch, Grafana, InfluxDB, Perfmon
- APMs like Introscope, Splunk, New Relic, DataDog, AppDynamics, Dynatrace
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and/or Azure
- Experience with Java application servers, specifically Tomcat
- Experience with relational databases, specifically MySQL
Bonus Points for…
- Performance related ecommerce experience
- Experience with containers (specifically Docker) and container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes
- Experience dealing with performance challenges of ORM’s such as OpenJPA
- Experience drilling down on performance issues in Golang or MongoDB
- Experience building or maintaining a performance automation framework
- Experience in creating Jenkins pipelines
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery testing methodologies
At Elastic Path, we go the extra mile to provide you & your family with exceptional and competitive benefits based on your location. Check out our high-level benefits summaries on our careers page.
An Exciting Future
Committed to being the most innovative commerce technology company, Elastic Path helps the world’s biggest brands generate billions in revenue using its powerful enterprise ecommerce platform. Our vision is to build the most flexible, open, and modern enterprise commerce software as recognized by analysts including Gartner, Forrester and IDC.
What does that mean for you? There has never been a more exciting time to join Elastic Path.
Be Open. Be Remarkable. Be the Customer. Be the Team. The values we live by.