Machine Assistant Operator - 2nd shift - $22.30/hr + shift diff; $1,000 sign on bonus; GREAT BENEFITS!
Domtar, part of the Paper Excellence Group, makes products that people around the world rely on every day. We design, manufacture, market and distribute a wide variety of communication, specialty and packaging papers, market pulp and airlaid nonwovens.
We are the largest integrated manufacturer and marketer of uncoated freesheet paper in North America, and one of the largest manufacturers of pulp in the world.
Our network of 11 pulp and paper mills and 9 manufacturing and converting facilities gives us approximately 2.7 million tons of papermaking capacity and 1.5 million air-dried metric tons (ADMT) of market pulp capacity annually to help us to serve our customers, support our employees and strengthen our communities.
Domtar Addison converting is conveniently located near I-355 between Army Trail Road and North Avenue (Route 64). This position runs on a 16/5 schedule – 8-hr shifts, Mon-Fri, 2 PM - 10 PM.
Candidates interested in this position:
Must be able to work in a self-directed work environment
Must be able to lift 60lbs. without assistance.
Must be able to work safely and constantly keep aware of surroundings.
Operate safely, efficiently and continuously the piler sections of the folio machine – 2 skid piling stations and one ream (for cartons) piling station to meet budget and quality demands.
Set up for each size change includes the changing of paddles (ream dividers), movement of tapes, plows, rollers, etc.
Assist folio operator with roll changes on an average of once every two 1 ½ - 2 hours; this includes the slabbing, splicing of paper, pulling paper on jam ups, and rethreading webs under machine after web breaks.
Assists in packaging the sheeted paper for shipping – this includes the nailing of skids, repiling and skid inverting.
Assist with unplugging baler, cyclone and trim chutes as required, assists maintenance personnel and performs general housekeeping duties
Assist Backstand person.
- Prepare rolls for the sheeter by stripping the outer wrap from the roll and inspect the roll for damage or defects.
- Remove the spent butt rolls from the machine and insert the full rolls into the roll stands.
- Install the leading edge of the new rolls onto the vacuum splice bars.
- Apply double-sided tape and trim off excess paper from the vacuum bar.
- Stage the units into position for the next splice.
- Bales all the roll wrap and defective paper from the rolls.
- Stack the corrugated end flaps onto a pallet and place the core plugs into Gaylord box for recycling.
- Place the spent butt rolls onto the core-stripper machine.
- Remove the empty cores and place in rack.
- Strap the bundles of cores for recycling.
Sweep the immediate work area during the shift.
Assist with preventative maintenance on Sheeter.
Tools used and provided:
pneumatic roll mover, strapping tool, core-plug removal tool, broom and dust pan.
Non-prescription safety glasses, ear plugs, work gloves
Jeans and plain T-shirt (no graffiti or offensive writing)
Minimum Qualifications include:
- High School Graduate or G.E.D.
- Past Industrial Experience and a Mechanical Aptitude are Helpful
- 2nd shift pay differential
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance (BC/BS)
- Life insurance
- Paid holidays & vacation
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.