Clinic Medical Assistant
**Please note that this is a full-time, fully benefited "Float" position. This Medical Assistant will "Float" to Centers that need support due Medical Assistants being on vacation, on leave, etc.**
The Position: Under the supervision of the Clinic RN Supervisor, the Medical Assistant provides routine support to the clinic staff and participants in the clinic including taking vital signs, maintaining the cleanliness of the clinic area and helping participants while they are in the clinic. In addition, this individual may provide clerical support to the clinic to ensure that the clinic phones are answered and data is entered into the computer accurately. Assures all necessary internal and external communication required by this position such as coordinating with other CEI departments, following up on pharmacy and other provider orders and scheduling internal appointments are handled efficiently and appropriately. The Medical Assistant provides excellent customer service to all people at the clinic.
The rate range for the Clinic Medical Asst at Center For Elders Independence is $ 22.03/hr to $ 33.05/hr. Wages/salary are based on the market for the Clinic MAQ position, as well as experience, skills, abilities and work history
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consults with clinic providers and nursing staff as needed
- Maintains data on clinic appointments by registering participants and following tracking system for participant visits.
- Follows up on medical orders as applicable.
- Performs routine clinical procedures such as taking vital signs, drawing labs, obtaining specimens and performing EKGs etc.; documents information in electronic system
- Assists the provider / nursing staff in obtaining participant information as assigned.
- Prepares exam rooms to receive participants and cleans exam rooms after visits are completed.
- Escorts the participants to and from exam room and clinic area.
- Assists the participants with undressing / dressing before and after the exam in a sensitive and respectful manner.
- Assists with transferring and toileting participants utilizing safety precautions and good body mechanics.
- Assists providers in examinations of patients (episodic and routine assessment).
- Maintains clean clinic area, disinfecting surfaces and clinic equipment on a daily basis.
- Assist nurses with keeping clinic stocked, inventory in adequate supply, and placing orders for supplies if required. Keeps exam and treatment rooms well supplied at all times.
- Records services rendered in the participant’s records, i.e., flow sheet or other designed forms and databases as needed.
- Maintains maintenance logs of clinic equipment.
- May also follow up on medical orders including appointment follow-up, transferring all medical orders to appropriate staff, completing lab requisitions and faxing medication orders to the pharmacy in timely manner.
- May also inform appropriate disciplines regarding medical order changes.
- May schedule internal appointments occurring at CEI sites (includes podiatry, dental and psychiatry) and recurring outside treatments (such as dialysis, IOP etc.) in coordination with other disciplines. Enters and maintains appointments in the computer database.
- May assist in scheduling appointments with external providers and diagnostics, as requested.
- May schedules IDT assessments
- May arrange for equipment as well as escorts, interpreters and transportation for internal and external appointments.
- May advise participants/family of scheduled appointments.
- May prepare and send appropriate paperwork to skilled nursing homes (SNF) as directed and responds to questions from skilled nursing facilities (SNF) - researching as required with MD/RN.
- May assist in monitoring clinic fax inbox
- Maintains clinic file drawers and binders, updated and copies all forms needed by clinic staff.
- Answers clinic telephones following phone etiquette guidelines (at all times except breaks); screening calls for proper distribution and takes messages.
- Responsible for data entry of all outpatient procedures for referral and billing purposes.
- Participates in meetings as assigned.
- Maintains the confidentiality of all company procedures, results and information about participants, clients or families.
- Maintains a courteous, helpful and professional attitude on the job. Displays a willingness and ability to be responsive warm and caring to all customer groups.
- Maintains a safe working environment by following agency safety policies and procedures and OSHA safety guidelines.
- Complies with all CEI and agency training requirements.
- Follows all CEI Policies and Procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned in a positive and helpful manner.
- Medical Assistant certification required
- Minimum of two years experience, clinical setting preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology including the ability to use correctly and spell a wide variety of medical terms. Completion of medical terminology course preferred.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of Universal Precautions
- Ability to work in an organized fashion and to aid in participant traffic flow. This includes a willingness to accept and/or give directions working cooperatively with other members of the clinic.
- Ability to work in a stressful situation as in emergencies and handle requests for assistance from providers in an appropriate manner.
- Current CPR + First Aid Certification.
- Good computer data entry skills.
- Ability to work as a team player in a multi-cultural, inter-disciplinary setting.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Customer service oriented with friendly, courteous communication style in person and on the phone.
- Experience with electronic health records, data entry and MS Office systems preferred.
- Detail oriented.
- Bi-lingual English-Spanish, English-Cantonese, English-Korean preferred.
The above job description is intended to communicate the general function of the mentioned position and by no means shall be considered an exhaustive or complete outline of the specific tasks and functions that will be required. CEI reserves the right to change job descriptions, site assignments, and or work hours as required by the needs of the program. All employees are expected to perform their duties within their ability as required by the job and/or as requested by management.
Center for Elders’ Independence is a PACE (Program of All- Inclusive Care for the Elderly) organization that uses an interdisciplinary team approach to care planning and care implementation for the purpose of providing high quality, affordable, integrated health care services to the elderly, including an Adult Day Health Center, and promoting autonomy, quality of life and the ability of individuals to live in their communities. Unlike other healthcare plans, CEI is not a "fee-for-service" plan. It is a “capitation” healthcare plan. CEI is paid a set amount for each person enrolled in our program, whether or not that individual seeks care. We are a growing company that offers stability and continues to thrive.