VP of Operations
Job ID 1489
A. M. Castle & Co. has over 130 years of experience as a leader in the metals service center industry. We provide exceptional benefits, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, 401K match, paid time off, paid parental leave, employee recognition, disability benefits, and tuition reimbursement.
The VP, Operations role is a senior management role directly responsible for supporting the CEO and working with other senior management members in executing the overall mission of A.M. Castle. This position is directly responsible for the development and deployment of common productivity and quality methodologies, tools, and procedures, as well as corporate freight strategy across all Company locations. The VP, Operations leads and directs a Continuous Improvement team, while coordinating with local and senior management, to maximize branch efficiencies and productivity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (performs other duties as assigned):
- Integrates with the remainder of the senior management team to drive the Company to meet and exceed financial goals and operational objectives.
- Participates in long term planning to examine efficiency, performance, and improvement of the Company’s global footprint, facility layouts, and operational procedures and systems, as well as leads execution and implementation of such projects as related to branch operations
- Develops and recommends a common methodology and plan of execution for improving operational productivity to meet or exceed Company goals within all locations
- Partners with senior management team on the measurement of effectiveness of internal and external processes, including the delivery of timely, accurate, and complete reports on the operating condition of the Company
- Oversees the development and maintenance of the Corporate quality vision and the global quality system to ensure standardized internal quality best practices
- Coordinates with local branch operations to develop and deploy comprehensive freight strategy for all Company locations; oversees or leads external negotiation on routes and rates with dedicated and common carriers
- Collects and evaluates capital expenditure requests in accordance with approved Company process and long term objectives
- Supports local branch management in the training and development of key operations personnel
- 15+ years of progressive industrial/manufacturing management experience
- Track record of effectively leading a metals service center, mill, or similar organization with a complex array of services
- Ability to read and interpret financial statements
- Excellent project management skills; ability to coordinate and maximize cross-functional teams across diverse skill sets
- Exemplary analytical and decision making skills with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve Company goals
- Must be a change-agent with the ability to think creatively and develop non-traditional solutions to complex business challenges
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including persuasive, passionate and excellent public speaking skills
- Demonstrated experience in developing and executing successful commercialization strategies
- Strong strategic thinking skills
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
- General office environment (keyboard, mouse, telephone use)
- Manual dexterity (grasp, hand/wrist movement)
- Travel (via plane, train, and/or automobile)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
Company Overview: Founded in 1890, A. M. Castle & Co. is a global distributor of specialty metal and plastic products and supply chain services, principally serving the producer durable equipment, oil and gas, commercial aircraft, heavy equipment, industrial goods, construction equipment, retail, marine and automotive sectors of the global economy. Its customer base includes many Fortune 500 companies as well as thousands of medium and smaller-sized firms spread across a variety of industries. Within its metals business, it specializes in the distribution of alloy and stainless steels; nickel alloys; aluminum and carbon. Together, Castle operates service centers located throughout North America, Europe and Asia.