2nd Shift - Transportation Coordinator
Job ID 1462
Are you a shipping / transportation professional seeking their next opportunity in the metals industry? Castle Metals is seeking a full-time, 2nd shift, Transportation Coordinator in its Paramount, California, location. The hours will be Monday - Friday, from 11 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
**This position is a 2nd shift job opportunity. However, training for the first 6 (six) months will occur on the first shift. First shift hours will be from 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Interested applicants must be available to train on the first shift and then transition to 2nd shift after training. A differential is paid for 2nd shift hours. Once on 2nd shift, providing first shift support for vacations may be needed from time to time**
The Transportation Coordinator will be responsible for monitoring and coordinating transportation needs to determine the most effective mode and routing of products/material to customers and other facilities.
Castle Metals has over 130 years of experience as a leader in the metals service center industry. We provide exceptional benefits including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, 401K match, disability benefits and tuition reimbursement.
Essential Primary Responsibilities:
- Determines the most effective mode and routing of materials to customer locations and Company facilities using the Transportation Module.
- Understands unique territory geography in order to determine most efficient routing between A.M. Castle facilities, external vendors, and customer locations.
- Creates shipping documents (packing slips, bill of ladings, material certifications) to go along with the materials via local fleet, LTL, TL, or Collect Shipments.
- Coordinates inbound shipments from Mills and outside processors.
- Provides customer service to inside sales group while focusing on delivery needs.
- Maintains control of emergency shipments and special delivery requests which may require real-time decisions.
- Maintains local relationships with carriers and dedicated service providers.
- Works closely with Corporate Transportation Team and other stakeholders to continuously improve the performance of the transportation management module in Oracle.
- Adheres to published loading and shipping schedules to ensure on-time delivery.
- Helps maintain transportation solutions to customers and Company facilities.
- Performs other duties as required.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
- General office environment, PC use
Required Experience: Type, Skills, and Years:
- Two years of experience in routing or similar role
- Ability to train on first shift and then begin work on second shift
- Prior experience with, or ability to learn, various computer systems including Oracle and Oracle Transportation Management (OTM) , Microsoft Streets and Maps
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office
- Ability to perform under pressure and deadlines, in a fast-paced, high-energy environment
- Ability to communicate with all levels and functional areas of the organization
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage a variety of paperwork and information
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s – Degree Program: Logistics, Operations, General Business
- Oracle or Oracle Transportation Management (OTM)
- Microsoft Streets and Maps
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
Founded in 1890, A. M. Castle & Co. is a global distributor of specialty metal and plastic products and supply chain services, principally serving the producer durable equipment, oil and gas, commercial aircraft, heavy equipment, industrial goods, construction equipment, retail, marine and automotive sectors of the global economy. Its customer base includes many Fortune 500 companies as well as thousands of medium and smaller-sized firms spread across a variety of industries. Within its metals business, it specializes in the distribution of alloy and stainless steels; nickel alloys; aluminum and carbon. Together, Castle operates service centers located throughout North America, Europe and Asia.