Operations Supervisor - 2nd Shift
Job ID 1545
A. M. Castle & Co. has over 130 years of experience as a leader in the metals service center industry. We provide exceptional benefits, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, 401K match, paid time off, paid parental leave, employee recognition, disability benefits, and tuition reimbursement.
This position is responsible for overseeing and executing activities of workers concerned with receiving, storing, retrieving, issuing, processing, and shipping of material(s). Responsible for ensuring warehouse employees are actively engaged and meet daily customer demand and production schedule within specified productivity, quality, and safety standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (performs other duties as assigned):
- Responsible for day-to day supervision and performance of a group of six or more employees. Guides/monitors group toward its goals ensures employee’s productivity, resolve problems as they arise. Has authority to change work roles and work distribution. Responsible for input to Human Resources matters of significance: e.g. participates in selection of new employees, provides meaningful input to performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, terminations etc.
- Prioritizes workload consistent with service level goals and customer requirements and allocates staff to meet production schedules. Addresses and/or works with Operations/Branch Manager regarding problems / concerns with quality, processes, equipment, materials and labor.
- Completes required reporting and production metrics; facilitates regular team communication regarding metrics and performance.
- Administers established employee policies and practices, enforces plant rules, and maintains discipline and employee morale. Evaluates performance of subordinates, recommends disciplinary actions as appropriate.
- Maintains a safe work environment by ensuring adherence to safety policies, assessing and eliminating hazards, and conducting timely accident/incident investigations, including the implementation of corrective action to prevent future accidents.
- Ensures established quality requirements and standards are met on a consistent basis through proper training of employees.
- Recommends and /or identifies continuous improvement in work efforts. Sustain and drive lean manufacturing and 5S activities.
- Works closely with support staff such as Inside Sales Managers and Operators to resolve any related issues.
- May act as back–up to Operations Manager.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Two years of progressive supervisory experience in a distribution or manufacturing environment required which includes background with inventory systems, ERP software, productivity measurements, manufacturing philosophies, and material handling equipment
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to lead others and managing performance and execution
- Leader with facilitating teamwork and collaboration
- Analytical thinking and decision making
- Managing organizational relationships
- Business acumen
- PC literacy
- Ability to analyze and solve operational problems and opportunities
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
- General office environment (keyboard, mouse, telephone use)
- Manual dexterity (grasp, hand/wrist movement)
- Stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach
- Light lifting (25lbs or less)
- Exposure to powered industrial equipment
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) according to training plan
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
Company Overview: Founded in 1890, A. M. Castle & Co. is a global distributor of specialty metal and plastic products and supply chain services, principally serving the producer durable equipment, oil and gas, commercial aircraft, heavy equipment, industrial goods, construction equipment, retail, marine and automotive sectors of the global economy. Its customer base includes many Fortune 500 companies as well as thousands of medium and smaller-sized firms spread across a variety of industries. Within its metals business, it specializes in the distribution of alloy and stainless steels; nickel alloys; aluminum and carbon. Together, Castle operates service centers located throughout North America, Europe and Asia.