When was the last time you bragged about where you work? At CARFAX, we do it every day. Why? Because we’re proud to work for a company with a strong mission and trusted brand. We’re proud to work with people who care about what they do and work hard every day to deliver their best.
And just announced, the return of the 4-day work week from May 30th to Labour Day! We’ve created the type of company culture where the term, “work- hard play- hard” isn’t just a catchy saying, it’s part of the #CARFAXdifference!
Join our IT team as a Systems Engineer
CARFAX is looking for a skilled Systems Engineer to join our Enterprise Systems Engineering team. This team is responsible for administering thousands of servers and systems across the CARFAX enterprise, as well as delivering new server and system capabilities to meet business goals. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record of large-scale server administration with emphasis on cloud environment support, containerization, Infrastructure as Code, automation, networking, and on premises server provisioning and configuration. This individual will work as part of a team to support the strategic goals of the company.
The role of the System Engineer includes working with multiple teams to deliver both on premises and cloud-hosted solutions for externally facing websites. You will collaborate with development teams, solve complex technical challenges, gather specifications, requirements, and perform systems analysis. Our Engineers provide primary server administration for company servers by proactively keeping systems secure with bug fixes, security patches, OS and software upgrades, and technical troubleshooting. Systems Engineers participate and facilitate project estimation and planning, to include multi-team systems integration and implementation.
As a System Engineer you will:
- Design, install, and administer on-prem systems and servers
- Configure hardware, peripherals, services, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
- Integrate new solutions with existing cloud resources and/or on-premise infrastructure.
- Design, build, and administer enterprise cloud and hybrid systems infrastructure to meet business requirements for reliability and business recovery
- Provide best practices, standards, training, and general support for both on-prem and cloud environments
- Participate in design decisions, including new technology research and prototyping
- Promote great Kubernetes and AWS platform design and quality
- Innovate new ideas to evolve our applications and processes
- Continuously analyze and evaluate our systems, products, and process for potential improvements
- Experience with Kubernetes (AWS EKS a plus)
- Experience with configuration management systems (Chef, Ansible, Puppet), and Continuous Integration / Delivery, demonstrated believer in “automate everything”
- Experience using common infrastructure as code tool-sets (CloudFormation, Terraform, Cloud Deployment Manager)
- Experience with Python, YAML, Bash and other technology and scripting languages
- Experience with AWS tools & products (EC2, VPCs, API Gateway, AWS Console, CLI and SDK)
- Minimum 4 years' experience with Linux
- Demonstrated initiative to learn, document and teach
- Advanced skills to troubleshoot various systems and technologies
- Have a broad set of technology skills - DEVSECOPS - Development, Security and Operations
- Operational experience - ready to own the uptime and quality of systems
- Knowledge of security and performance best practices for on-prem, cloud and hybrid architectures
- Familiarity with Gloo
- Experience with DHCP, DNS, IPAM, load balancing, and the ability to troubleshoot and diagnose server and network related items
- Experience with RabbitMQ
- Experience with Tomcat
- Experience with Active Directory, file systems management
- Experience with virtualization, VMWare, and data storage systems
- Experience with TLS and Digital Certificates, and troubleshooting the same
- Familiarity with Prometheus, Grafana
- Familiarity with CloudFront
CARFAX, part of S&P Global Mobility, helps millions of people every day confidently shop, buy, service and sell used cars with innovative solutions powered by CARFAX vehicle history information. The expert in vehicle history since 1984, CARFAX provides exclusive services like CARFAX Used Car Listings, CARFAX Car Care, CARFAX History-Based Value and the flagship CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™ to consumers and the automotive industry. CARFAX owns the world’s largest vehicle history database and is nationally recognized as a top workplace by The Washington Post and Glassdoor.com. Shop, Buy, Service, Sell – Show me the CARFAX™. S&P Global Mobility is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI). S&P Global is the world’s foremost provider of credit ratings, benchmarks, analytics and workflow solutions in the global capital, commodity and automotive markets.
CARFAX is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of CARFAX to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, disability or handicap, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, CARFAX will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are a participant in E-Verify.