Lead Software Engineer - Manager I
The Manager role is a hybrid role that encompasses both leadership and hands-on engineering. Under the guidance of your Engineering Manager, you will be expected to support the team and effectively manage the careers of people. You’ll also be expected to spend approximately 50% of your time in hands-on engineering, such as coding. In addition to the people aspects of the role, a Manager I uses their knowledge of delivery and software engineering best practices to shape the team’s methodology, deliver on the strategic direction for engineering processes, and build a strong and trusting relationship with the product and/or other teams.
The manager is expected to have strong technical delivery skills, to coordinate the team and make sure people are working on the right stories in the right way. They focus on the whole team’s productivity and strive to increase the impact of the team’s work product. They are empowered to make independent decisions for the team and expected to grow the ability to handle difficult management and leadership situations.
Team and People:
- Identification and provisioning of training needs for the people in the team
- Provide input for the Engineering Manager to ensure the appropriate team shape, levels of experience/capability and fulfilment of roles
- 1-1’s and performance reviews with team members
- Team member development (Under guidance of the engineering manager as required)
- Mentoring junior members
- Make sure the team is productive
- Participate in the recruitment process for their teams
- Champion engineering standards and best practise and ensure teams are following them
- Responsible for high level designs and analysis for the projects the team is involved in
- Ensure tech design supports product direction
- Partners effectively with product to manage scope and deliverables for the technical side of the product roadmap
- Responsible that the commitments made by the team are achieved
- Working with other technical leaders and architects to find, own and solve shared engineering concerns
- Escalating risks where needed
- Being a team representative and communicator
Technical Knowledge expectations:
- Knowledge and/or strong desire to work with Kafka/SQL/Clojure
- Experience with a variety of distributed systems (such as Kafka), stream processing and building business critical, highly scalable, fault-tolerant apps.
- Familiarity with Docker, AWS, and Circle CI
- Github or other open source code control tools/systems.
- Experience in collaborating with product teams and business teams, ensuring code quality and iterative lean delivery