Clinical Health Coach (Remote) (11am-8pm CST)
American Specialty Health Incorporated is seeking a Clinical Health Coach - RN to join our Health Management Nurse Coaching (HMN) department. This position will provide cognitive behavioral coaching, and other coaching and educational skills to program participants. The primary focus is on chronic health conditions impacted by lifestyle behaviors, including musculoskeletal pain and related conditions with a goal to support the participant’s goals to improve health and functioning; learn about evidence-based, conservative care options; enhance their cognitive coping skills; and apply appropriate self-care skills. This position includes providing supportive accountability to members around the member’s health-related goals and developing a plan with members to reach those goals. This position includes reviewing member files for medical risk issues and developing a plan to help assure safe program participation related to those issues, communicating with others responsible for member safe program participation, and following through on program plan with each assigned member. This is not telemedicine and, therefore, this individual does not diagnose, treat, or prescribe treatments to the participants with whom they are coaching. This is a professional coaching position providing coaching services only.
Remote Worker Considerations
Candidates who are selected for this position will be trained remotely and must be able to work from home in a designated work area with company-provided technology equipment. This remote/WFH position requires you have a stable connection to your Internet Service Provider with the ability to participate by video in online meetings over a reliable and consistent network (minimum internet download of 50 Mbps and 10 Mbps upload speed).
American Specialty Health complies with state and federal wage and hour laws and compensation depends upon candidate’s qualifications, education, skill set, years of experience, and internal equity. $35.20 to $38.46 Hourly Wage Range.
- Provide coaching and education to all assigned members in accordance with departmental training, policies and protocol.
- Schedules coaching sessions to meet department productivity expectations or as required to meet program performance and quality standards.
- Using evidence-based information and coaching skills, the Clinical Health Coach will work with members to set health related goals and develop and implement effective strategies to reach those goals.
- Acknowledges and implements all program modifications resulting from case review final determinations.
- Meets or exceeds departmental and company performance goals.
- Manages time to assure analysis and customized reports go out to stakeholders in a timely manner and according to department performance standards.
- Using company electronic systems, documents member goals, clinical data, behavioral outcomes, and administrative details of all assigned members and Clinical QA cases.
- Gathers detailed and accurate information on assigned members and enters data into company electronic systems and communication logs, including the triage system.
- Maintain thorough, up-to-date and confidential records of coaching sessions with members.
- Answers questions submitted by assigned members either online, via voicemail, or by utilizing the ask-a-coach service.
- Sends letters and faxes to physician’s offices or other referral sources as required by client contract or department protocol.
- Sends outbound referrals as appropriate and assures outgoing forms and secure emails are delivered per dept. and company privacy and security protocols.
- Documents all outbound referral requests and communications as appropriate in communication logs.
- Completes Clinical Quality Assurance team tasks as assigned.
- Participates in Clinical QA process and quality improvement initiatives as requested.
- Completes accurate and timely documentation and escalation of all assigned Clinical QA tasks
- Registered Nurse, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, or Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, licensed in the state of American Specialty Health Management employment required. Compact license preferred.
- Licensure in additional state(s) required per Health Management business needs is required; can be obtained after hire.
- Experience in health education/coaching of individuals with chronic health conditions preferred.
- Clinical experience in musculoskeletal condition management or orthopedics is highly desirable.
- Chronic Care Professional (disease management) certification required; can be obtained after hire.
- Additional job-related and Health Management Coaching approved certifications (e.g., coaching, counseling, health education, nutrition, exercise, or mind body) preferred.
- 2 years clinical experience beyond education and training, in nursing in a clinical setting required, 4 years preferred.
- Experience in health education, coaching, case management, disease management for individuals with chronic health conditions, musculoskeletal conditions and pain populations preferred.
- Health education or coaching experience in the areas of nutrition, weight management, physical fitness/exercise, tobacco cessation, and/or relaxation skills (mind/body techniques) is beneficial but not required.
- Work experience in applying cognitive behavioral techniques is highly desirable.
- Ability to translate highly technical, scientific information into “layman’s” terms, and present it in a learning style that matches the individual’s preference for learning.
- Ability to effectively learn and implement various coaching skills, specifically cognitive behavioral coaching techniques, and present health management options to an individual.
- Ability to present evidence-based, self-care and conservative care information to individuals to improve current health status and functioning and improve an individual’s use of the various services within the health care system.
- Ability to engage individuals to motivate improvement in an individual’s overall wellbeing; this includes emotional and social wellbeing, in addition to physical wellbeing.
- Demonstrated ability to create and sustain a supportive client-focused environment for behavior change.
- Ability to effectively utilize empathy and motivational coaching techniques to help members overcome challenges and achieve health-related goals.
- Ability to tailor coaching and support services to a diverse customer base.
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a positive, respectful manner and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to display excellent customer service to meet the needs and expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal communication skills to identify critical core competencies based on success factors and organizational environment.
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize, multi-task and manage time.
- Demonstrated accuracy and productivity in a changing environment with constant interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze information, problems, issues, situations and procedures to develop effective solutions.
- Ability to exercise strict confidentiality in all matters.
Primarily sedentary, able to sit for long periods of time.
Ability to speak, see, and hear other personnel and/or objects. Ability to communicate both in verbal and written form. Ability to travel within and outside the facility including by airplane when requested. Capable of using a telephone and computer keyboard. Ability to lift up to 10 lbs.
Work-from-home (WFH) environment.
American Specialty Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact our Human Resources Department at (800) 848-3555 x6702.
ASH will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the Company’s legal duty to furnish information.